• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Hickory wood

Jersey Jimbo

Meat Mopper
Joined Oct 26, 2020
New to this so bear with me, I used Apple liked it used cherry liked it hickory to me gives a very strong smoked taste is this normal and what can be done to reduce the strong taste what wood is good to mix with it When I do jerk I like the hickory taste but with ribs, brisket and butt to me it was strong. I am still trying to figure out what wood works the best with different meats

BigW.

Smoking Fanatic
Joined May 13, 2019
I'm a fan of hickory or apple on most things. What type of smoker do you have? Hickory does have a stronger flavor than some, less than mesquite. You could try oak or maple. Maybe just use a bit less hickory? As you smoke more you'll figure out what you like best.

tx smoker

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
Hickory is going to be a heavier smoke flavor than apple or cherry. Personally I like hickory as well as mesquite. BigW made a couple of good suggestions but you may also want to try pecan. It's a very good "in between" flavor. You're not going to tone down the flavor of hickory and trying to find a perfect balance of mixing different woods is not gonna be easy. You'd be better off to find a wood that stands alone and gives the desired flavor.

Robert

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 29, 2018
I agree with Robert, give Pecan a shot. Quite good IMO.

daspyknows

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 9, 2020
Almond is also good. Really depends where you are located. I like hickory for shorter smokes but agree with you in regards to pork butts or brisket.

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 12, 2018
I like hickory for beef and sometimes pork, long or short cooks. I mix some Apple wood in with the hickory for Pork Butts and Ribs occasionally. Maple is pretty strong too, but does go with pork. I agree with the others, you'll find what you like as you go.

Murray

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 30, 2018
To reduce the strong hickory smoke I converted to pellet dust using my Amazen Oval tube and always in a mailbox mod. I used to place the tube inside the smoker and it worked fine except it would drop ash and dust in the bottom of the MES leaving a mess in the bottom of the smoker plus dripping grease was occasionally extinguishing the oval smoke tube.

Jersey Jimbo

Meat Mopper
Joined Oct 26, 2020
OK so now I am understanding this a little better. I will try other wood with a woodsy smoke taste and see which one I prefer. I am smoking with a Sleep Hollow electric smoker. Guess like everything else you have to find a happy medium for the taste you want. I will get some pecan and try that and thanks for all the advise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.