Hickory wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jersey Jimbo

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 26, 2020
At the Shore
New to this so bear with me, I used Apple liked it used cherry liked it hickory to me gives a very strong smoked taste is this normal and what can be done to reduce the strong taste what wood is good to mix with it When I do jerk I like the hickory taste but with ribs, brisket and butt to me it was strong. I am still trying to figure out what wood works the best with different meats

I'm a fan of hickory or apple on most things. What type of smoker do you have? Hickory does have a stronger flavor than some, less than mesquite. You could try oak or maple. Maybe just use a bit less hickory? As you smoke more you'll figure out what you like best.

Hickory is going to be a heavier smoke flavor than apple or cherry. Personally I like hickory as well as mesquite. BigW made a couple of good suggestions but you may also want to try pecan. It's a very good "in between" flavor. You're not going to tone down the flavor of hickory and trying to find a perfect balance of mixing different woods is not gonna be easy. You'd be better off to find a wood that stands alone and gives the desired flavor.

Robert

Almond is also good. Really depends where you are located. I like hickory for shorter smokes but agree with you in regards to pork butts or brisket.

I like hickory for beef and sometimes pork, long or short cooks. I mix some Apple wood in with the hickory for Pork Butts and Ribs occasionally. Maple is pretty strong too, but does go with pork. I agree with the others, you'll find what you like as you go.

To reduce the strong hickory smoke I converted to pellet dust using my Amazen Oval tube and always in a mailbox mod. I used to place the tube inside the smoker and it worked fine except it would drop ash and dust in the bottom of the MES leaving a mess in the bottom of the smoker plus dripping grease was occasionally extinguishing the oval smoke tube.

OK so now I am understanding this a little better. I will try other wood with a woodsy smoke taste and see which one I prefer. I am smoking with a Sleep Hollow electric smoker. Guess like everything else you have to find a happy medium for the taste you want. I will get some pecan and try that and thanks for all the advise.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky