Hickory Smoked Teriyaki Tritip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawhorseray

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2014
Gilbert, AZ
After moving here to AZ from CA a year and a half ago I finally found tritip on sale at a decent price, $4.99lb, a buck more than I ever paid before we moved here. I marinated the slab for three days in Mr Yoshidas teriyaki sauce vac-sealed in the fridge for three days, wiped it down with some paper towels and hit it with just a little S&P. Real nice penetration!
DSCN2622.JPG

Had the Weber setup with the SnS and a couple nice chunks of hickory wood, started with charring both sides right over the coals a minute a side
DSCN2623.JPG

Moved it off the coals, stuck in a probe of my TP-20, closed the vents to half open and put on the lid
DSCN2624.JPG

Rolling nice smoke right from the start
DSCN2626.JPG

When the alarm on the TP-20 went off at 123º I pulled it for a ten minute rest on the counter, whipped up some cheesy broccoli and fresh asparagus, IT hit 132º
DSCN2629.JPG

Pulled up a chair after pouring a nice glass of cab and grabbing the horseradish. and a little mayo for the spargees
DSCN2630.JPG

Man was this ever delicious! Every bite of the crust was like eating meat candy, got a nice slab left for a French dip sanny today
DSCN2631.JPG

I'll be going back to the market today to pick up a couple more of these while they're on sale, I've got no freezer space, but I'll make some somehow! Thanks for lookin' in, Happy New Year, and stay safe! RAY

Nice Job on that TT Ray. It sure does look good.

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: sawhorseray
Ray that tri tip looks fantastic as do the sides!! Tri tip finally started showing up here in Ohio over the last year.

Nice cook on that TT, whole plate looks tasty!

Thank you!Tritip and the ocean are about the only things I've missed from moving to AZ. Thanks for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Yowsa! Darn good looking plate. Jim

Thanks Jim, I sure wish I had more freezer space to load up! Thanks for the Like Jim, much appreciated. RAY

Looks really great!

Thanks JCAP! A tri can be dressed up just about every imaginable way, as long as you don't overcook them they're always a real treat. Thanks for the Like, much appreciated. RAY

Nice Job on that TT Ray. It sure does look good. Point for sure Chris

Thanks Chris! I'm starting to re-think that French dip sanny in favor of tossing the leftover hunk into the sous vide pot for a couple of hours. Thanks for the Like Chris, I do appreciate it. RAY

Ray that tri tip looks fantastic as do the sides!! Tri tip finally started showing up here in Ohio over the last year.

Thanks Jeff! I still don't get how they're a standard in CA and other parts of the country, have never had them available. Then when they do become available they cost three times as much. In CA I'd buy a bag of 5-6 tri's untrimmed for $2.99lb, sometimes a little less, after trimming off the fat it usually worked out to about $3.60lb. Thanks for the Like Jeff, much appreciated. RAY

Looks delicious ray. Nice job bud

Thanks Jake! It's so juicy and tender we always use to refer to tri as Poor Man's Prime, really great beef flavor. Then I see in some parts of the country they charge more for tritip than they do a standing rib roast, crazy. I just don't quite get it, it all comes off a steer, they all have the same cuts.

That's one gorgeous chunk of meat right there my friend and perfectly cooked. Love the color it took on from the 3-day soak. I can only imagine the flavors that were developed with the marinade. That'd be worth the trip to Gilbert for a plate of :emoji_laughing: Great job buddy!!

Robert

Very nice . I could almost smell that pic over the coals .
I just got home from the store . They had Tri-tip !!
$17.99 a pound . Insane . Nice meal Ray .

Not sure what part of AZ, but check out Winco if there is one close, they normally have them and at good prices.

Hey, thanks for that info! I've never seen one here and checked just now, there's a Winco about two miles from my house, I'll go there Monday. RAY

SHR, wow ,nice job on the tri-tip. Looks delicious and a nice crust too!

Thanks crazymoon crazymoon ! It was really nice to finally see tri's come out at a price I was will to pay, $7.99lb wasn't going to fly when I get beef tenderloin for less than that. Thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it.

I agree that looks awesome! Great job !

Thanks Yankee, and thanks you for the Like, I do appreciate it! RAY

That's one gorgeous chunk of meat right there my friend and perfectly cooked. Love the color it took on from the 3-day soak. I can only imagine the flavors that were developed with the marinade. That'd be worth the trip to Gilbert for a plate of :emoji_laughing: Great job buddy!! Robert

Thank you Robert! Yoshidas has been my go-to teriyaki sauce for about 20 years now, gets great penetration as a marinade and works really well in the wok for stirfry, it's kind of thick and sweet. All you got to do it get out this way and there will be a place set at the table for you Robert, probably some sippin' whisky too. Course you'll be wanting to wait for Covid to slow down a bit, we're he worst spot in the entire nation at present. Thank you for the Like amigo, it is much appreciated! RAY

Very nice . I could almost smell that pic over the coals . I just got home from the store . They had Tri-tip !! $17.99 a pound . Insane . Nice meal Ray .

Thank you Rich! I'm not exactly sure what part of a cow tritip comes from, but it ain't fillet mignon or even ribeye, that's plain crazy! I really don't get the entire gist of why it costs so much in most of the country and in CA they dammed near give the stuff away, it's what I used to grind up when I'd make my hipshot burgers. $17.99 a pound, there ain't anything comes from a cow I'd pay half that for! Thank you for the Like Rich, I do appreciate it. RAY

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky