Hickory and Oak vs charcoal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billypandbeppyd

Original poster
Aug 28, 2016
Hello all, Long time first time, thanks for all the years....I currently cook daily on a Tejas 2442..good results, thank you...making a living doing it..however.....I need more volume, and would like to consider charcoal instead of wood (gasp!).

Can one get the same flavor with just charcoal...?  I haven't tried, mostly because it takes the romance out of the process for me..your thoughts please kind people?...

I know a man who uses a Marshall and lump...

I have spent 1000's of hours...gosh maybe I should just cook a batch in the Tejas?  geez, maybe...?

Thinking vertical and much, much longer unattended cooks..

Thank you!

Your not going to get the same flavor out of charcoal that you get with a wood fire.

However mixing in wood with the charcoal will work better than just charcoal.

That being said, I doubt if any of your customers will be able to tell the difference between all wood or a wood & charcoal mix.

Al

If I was going to mix, I would use lump. It's all wood with no fillers or binders and it won't take as much away from your word taste as briqs.

Thank you sir,

I have used lump at home for awhile now, but always for grilling, and since I have a supply of smaller pieces of hickory and oak from my prior needs, I do mix those in from time to time and love grilling over pure wood as well.

I will try a mix this week and let you know..thanks for the encouragement.

P

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky