Hi

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

apn73

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 23, 2020
Suffolk, VA
Greetings All,

My name is Adam and I currently reside in Suffolk, VA, though I'm not originally from here. I grew up in Maine for the first 33 years of my life where I was a 4th generation pit boss of America's original barbecue, the clambake. A few intervening years right next door in New Hampshire, the loss of a job, and here I am in Hampton Roads. I've been down here just about 5 years, so getting close to the "damn yankee" stage. I got into barbecue and smoking meats because my wife's family doesn't like seafood, figure that one out:emoji_thinking: The other reason is because I always wanted to, but my Dad and I just never really got around to it. We didn't know anybody that could show us, "Smoke & Spice" hadn't been written yet, and we didn't have enough fabrication skills to put together a pit. I'm going back to the days before the internet and the treasure trove of information available at your fingertips. About 10 years ago I bumped into the book "Legends Of Texas Barbecue" by Robb Walsh, bought it, and was inspired by it. I started doing some research and thought the simple UDS would be a great first smoker, built it with no special tools, and my involvement with barbecue began. I still own that smoker and I cooked on it just yesterday, Boston Butt and loaf pan chicken.

More about me, well, I work for a shipping company that moves 40' containers all over the world. I love cars, trucks, tractors, and just about anything with an internal combustion engine. I guess like many different types of smoke:emoji_wink:

Welcome from Iowa, lots of good people and info here!

Ryan

Greetings All,

My name is Adam and I currently reside in Suffolk, VA, though I'm not originally from here. I grew up in Maine for the first 33 years of my life where I was a 4th generation pit boss of America's original barbecue, the clambake. A few intervening years right next door in New Hampshire, the loss of a job, and here I am in Hampton Roads. I've been down here just about 5 years, so getting close to the "damn yankee" stage. I got into barbecue and smoking meats because my wife's family doesn't like seafood, figure that one out:emoji_thinking: The other reason is because I always wanted to, but my Dad and I just never really got around to it. We didn't know anybody that could show us, "Smoke & Spice" hadn't been written yet, and we didn't have enough fabrication skills to put together a pit. I'm going back to the days before the internet and the treasure trove of information available at your fingertips. About 10 years ago I bumped into the book "Legends Of Texas Barbecue" by Robb Walsh, bought it, and was inspired by it. I started doing some research and thought the simple UDS would be a great first smoker, built it with no special tools, and my involvement with barbecue began. I still own that smoker and I cooked on it just yesterday, Boston Butt and loaf pan chicken.

More about me, well, I work for a shipping company that moves 40' containers all over the world. I love cars, trucks, tractors, and just about anything with an internal combustion engine. I guess like many different types of smoke:emoji_wink:

Welcome to SMF from North Texas.

Smoke ON!

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky