Hi my name is Wade and I am a first time smoker.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

srt4wad

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
As title says I am a first time smoker and just bought my gas Brinkman last night at Homedepot. Easy to put together I will need to put something around the doors to keep the smoke and heat in I think nice size gap on the top door easy fix. I seasoned it and it’s ready for a job.

My question is when I get the temp regulated for cooking do I put the chips and water in as soon as I start the smoker? Or do I turn the gas on and once I hit and hold my temp to I put the chips and water in? Also, do I wait for the smoke to start before adding the meat or put it on when I put the chips in?

I am waiting on the eBook from Jeff; these questions might be answered so please forgive me if they are.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wade

91712748_smf.gif

Welcome to SMF!!!

I use a MES electric and i put boiling water in the pan and put it in the smoker while it's getting to temp. The mes doesn't require me to open thje door to add chips so i do it before i put the meat on. if you can put the chips in  at the same time as the meat so you only open the door and lose heat once.

You can get some rope gasket like they use for the door on an electric oven to seal your gap or you can do it w/ high temp silicone.

Make sure and line your water pan w/ foil to make it easier to clean.

Welcome! 

We have smoked with a MES for yrs. One thing we were slow to learn, is not everything needs the water pan.  Be sure what you are smoking you want to add moisture.  For example when smoking sausage in casings you dont want that extra moisture.  About 95% of what we smoke we put the meat it, let it get to temp for 30 mins or so then add smoke. 

Welcome to the Forums Wade...   I put my water in (when useing water) while I am bringing smoker up to temps. I add my wood and meat at the same time so I only have to open up once...

Keith

PS.  don't forget to put your location in on your profile, It helps to solve some issues you may have further down the road

Welcome to SMF, there is soooo much useful stuff on here I am having to start a 

smoking "info" book. No way I can remember all this. I was brain dead 5 yrs ago. 

It hurts so much!! 

But the food is good 
drool.gif

Wad,read the info. first then make a list of questions and post some shots of your stuff, then we can help you better.

Then do as Ptcruiserguy said and start a cooking record,helps a lot
45.gif

Welcome Wade,

Much like OldSchool said, Decide what you want to smoke for the first time. Then do a search on it (above)---This forum's search engine works real good.

Then compare how other guys did that particular meat.

If I never did it, I often go with what the majority of others did.

Then if anything is still not clear, ask us.

Then when you start, take copious notes (rubs, temp, times, position in smoker, etc, etc, etc), from the minute you get it out of the package until you sit down to eat.

Notes will tell you how to do it next time, and if something wasn't quite right, your notes will give you & us an idea of what the problem was, and how to adjust for better results.

And don't forget the Qview!!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky