Hi guys! I have a few days and I want some opinions for my first cook.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

texassapper

Original poster
Oct 15, 2015
I'm building my UDS now and will post on that when it's all done and said, but I am stuck on what to cook first. I'll probably break her in this weekend if I can wait longer than Friday. What are you guys' thoughts on a first smoke? Bring in the ideas.

grilling_smilie.gif

I'm building my UDS now and will post on that when it's all done and said, but I am stuck on what to cook first. I'll probably break her in this weekend if I can wait longer than Friday. What are you guys' thoughts on a first smoke? Bring in the ideas.

grilling_smilie.gif
Chicken Parts Leg quarters,Thighs Cheap and easy to cook.

Richie

Chicken Parts Leg quarters,Thighs Cheap and easy to cook.

Richie
YEP!  Chicken is always a good "break it in" meat.  If you buy it tonight, you can brine it for Saturday!

Also, if you can find a chuck roast on sale, that might work as well for a first cook.

I did whole chickens for my first smoke. Following that, I tried smoked burgers, ribs, boston butt, a turkey, etc. Chicken did seem like an easy go-to for my first smoke as well.

I agree chicken is a good first smoke. It's hard to mess up and it will give you a chance to get a feel for your smoker. Then ribs Thumbs Up

Is this your first time smoking or just your first time with your new UDS?

The first smoke on my UDS was pork butts. I had been dying to try the "hot and fast" method so as soon as my UDS was done I cranked it up to 300 degrees and threw on two butts. 

This is my first smoke ever. And it will be on my UDS. I've cooked on grills and Weber Kettles but its always with heat on one side and food cooking with indirect heat. This will be the first time I'm actually smoking something. I'm going with two racks. Might do multiple items and see how that works for me. Chicken is looking good and ribs (beef) for the misses. She swears she married me because I can bbq ribs for her. 

This is my first smoke ever. And it will be on my UDS. I've cooked on grills and Weber Kettles but its always with heat on one side and food cooking with indirect heat. This will be the first time I'm actually smoking something. I'm going with two racks. Might do multiple items and see how that works for me. Chicken is looking good and ribs (beef) for the misses. She swears she married me because I can bbq ribs for her. 
Good Luck as others said Brine the chicken you will be amazed Remember to show off your first cook.Have fun

Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky