Hi from the DC area!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SunnyDC

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
Washington, DC
Hi all! I'm Sunny. I'm from Memphis, and I LOVE BBQ. But I live in the DC area now.

^^ This should explain how I came to be here at Smoking Meat Forums, at least to anyone who's tried to get decent BBQ pork around these parts!

(Seriously, there can't be ONE place in driving distance that gets it right? I wound up sending a plate of "Memphis style pulled pork" back to the kitchen in a restaurant one night because I thought they had accidentally served me the chicken plate... 'nuff said. Yuck.)

Soooo... since I no longer have a big honkin' smoker or the space to build myself a proper pit or smokehouse, I finally got fed up and learned to smoke a pork butt in my plain old charcoal kettle grill. It took a bit of trial and error to get it like I like, but I loved every minute of the process, and now I'm obsessed with learning to smoke more meatsy things!

As I went a-Googling to prepare for my first attempt at making tasso ahead of my birthday, which conveniently falls on Mardi Gras this year, I stumbled across this site... and wow, there is a ton of useful info here and it looks like a fun community, so here I am. :)

Please forgive my rambling intro, and pardon me now while I go dark for a while so I can read threads obsessively and start planning more projects than I will know what to do with!

Glad to be here!

Hi Sunny,
Welcome to
small-logo.png

You might want to consider going electric.
Go Electric, with an AMNPS, and a small fridge for Beer.
Then you can make your Pork yourself, and do it right!

Welcome to the site, happy to have ya join the fun. I use my kettle for allot of my smokes especially in the winter.

Chris

Reactions: SunnyDC
Welcome to the site. look forward to seeing your cooks

Reactions: SunnyDC
Hi Sunny,
You might want to consider going electric.
Go Electric, with an AMNPS, and a small fridge for Beer.
Then you can make your Pork yourself, and do it right!

I am as yet a wood or charcoal snob, but who knows... maybe I can be converted! Got the beer fridge, though, no worries... I didn't come up here *that* unprepared! :)

Welcome to the site, happy to have ya join the fun. I use my kettle for allot of my smokes especially in the winter.

Chris

I was out grilling (though not smoking) in 12"+ of snow this past weekend, which is saying something for this southern girl. Brr! :)

Welcome I close to you I'm on the other side of the big ditch (Md Eastern Shore) Glad to have you join us as you have seen there are a lot of great guys and gals on here with tons of info.

Warren

Welcome I close to you I'm on the other side of the big ditch (Md Eastern Shore) Glad to have you join us as you have seen there are a lot of great guys and gals on here with tons of info.

Warren

Thanks! We are in your neck of the woods pretty often... that's some good kayaking country! :)

Have you kayaked Tuckahoe State Park area down the Tuckahoe to Hillsboro landing. If so you were in my backyard.

Warren

Hey Warren,
With all the Rain we've been having, I can believe people actually can Kayak in your back yard!!:emoji_rowboat::emoji_cloud_rain::emoji_cloud_rain::emoji_cloud_rain::emoji_dolphin::emoji_frog:

Bear

Have you kayaked Tuckahoe State Park area down the Tuckahoe to Hillsboro landing. If so you were in my backyard.

Warren
Not yet... but this is literally on our list! Even though it's almost exactly due east of us, we've not actually been up that far north in our travels -- so far (we've had the boats for four seasons, but back surgery took me out of commission for one of those) we've explored points south and (far) west of there. Maybe this will be the season! We're cabin camping this weekend, but no kayaks... I'm not that acclimated to the winters up here yet! :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky