Hi from Scotland

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hotandcold

Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Perth, Scotland
Hi, folks ... I discovered food smoking earlier this year, and I've been having fun with a charcoal BBQ grill using lumpwood for both hot and cold smoking. But obviously it occurs to me that charcoal (with its heat) is not too smart for cold smoking at low temperatures so I bought an A-Maze-N smoke generator but found it wasn't burning as well as I expected so I've put it aside for the time being. I shall probably get back to it.

Then I came across the soldering-iron technique. But it, too, has given me problems - it blows the fuses (or rather trips the circuit breaker) in my house. I've described my problem under "Cold Smoking" > "Info and Practices", and I'm hoping somebody maybe has advice or a suggestion.

In the hot-smoking department I've done spare ribs, Cumberland sausage, chicken fillets, Danish smoked herring ("røget sild"), and I have pork loin curing in the fridge, getting ready to smoke my first piece of bacon next week.

In the cold-smoking category I've done haddock and cod (but there was too much heat in the grill so that wasn't satisfactory) and cheese.

I'm really enjoying this hot/cold smoking hobby 
439.gif

hey H&C welcome aboard glad to have ya Try nucking dust or pellets  in microwave for about 30 secs or so this may help get the maze goin

Last edited:
Hello, Hot&cold and ,
welcome1.gif
  to the Site. All good people here and very willing to share. As Stick said , the Microwave ( or even in an Oven for a spell) , could do a lot towards helping maintain smoldering. P.M. Todd Johnson if you like , he'll get you going for sure.
biggrin.gif

Hope you come to call us 'Homefolk' and join in on our fun...

Have fun and...

welcome1.gif
to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 40,000 members and over 800,000 posts so you should be able to find almost anything you want to know. Remember the search bar at the top can be your best friend for finding answers fast!

Would you do us a favor and update your profile to include your location, Thanks!

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-course it will teach you all the basics and a whole lot more!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky