• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Hi from Colorado!

countrydirt

Joined May 7, 2010
Hello all. I see that I joined here about 12 years ago and well, life got busy and I sold my smokers (bullet style and offset) and then eventually also got rid of the reason I no longer tried smoking meat through divorce and now find myself back into the groove as a very recent young retiree and homeowner. Ironically, the ex's new partner smokes everything (over-smokes in my opinion - I know because my youngest son - today was his 19th birthday - often brings leftovers after a meal with his mother and I'm not so sure that smoke should be the predominant flavor, but I could be wrong).

Enough of the soap opera.

I just purchased a very lightly used offset smoker - as near as I can see, it was used to grill burgers 3 or 4 times and the smoke box was pristine. Right now, I've got a little burn going to season it and it is throwing off a very thin smoke with regular charcoal and a little piece of cherry.

I am planning on throwing on a pork butt tomorrow for some pulled pork. I have a pile of cherry wood and some hickory chunks and a few pieces of apricot I may use.

Just smelling the smoke from the seasoning makes me recall how much I enjoyed smoking food. Hell, I even bought a home-brew kit to restart another hobby that marriage and kids overtook so many years ago.

tbern

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 27, 2015
Welcome (back) to the forum! Sounds like you're getting back in the swing of things quickly!

Crazy88

Smoke Blower
Joined Mar 5, 2020
Hello all. I see that I joined here about 12 years ago and well, life got busy and I sold my smokers (bullet style and offset) and then eventually also got rid of the reason I no longer tried smoking meat through divorce and now find myself back into the groove as a very recent young retiree and homeowner. Ironically, the ex's new partner smokes everything (over-smokes in my opinion - I know because my youngest son - today was his 19th birthday - often brings leftovers after a meal with his mother and I'm not so sure that smoke should be the predominant flavor, but I could be wrong).

Enough of the soap opera.

I just purchased a very lightly used offset smoker - as near as I can see, it was used to grill burgers 3 or 4 times and the smoke box was pristine. Right now, I've got a little burn going to season it and it is throwing off a very thin smoke with regular charcoal and a little piece of cherry.

I am planning on throwing on a pork butt tomorrow for some pulled pork. I have a pile of cherry wood and some hickory chunks and a few pieces of apricot I may use.

Just smelling the smoke from the seasoning makes me recall how much I enjoyed smoking food. Hell, I even bought a home-brew kit to restart another hobby that marriage and kids overtook so many years ago.
Get back after it! Enjoy the smoke..

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 12, 2018
Welcome back! Glad you're back on "Track" with smoking meats. Post some pics when you can.

countrydirt

Joined May 7, 2010
Thanks for the greetings gang! My "seasoning" burn turned into a small smoke with a 4ish pound picnic roast. Just seasoned with s&p and smoked over cherry and a few chunks of hickory and gave it about 3 hours on the smoke then about 3 in the oven. It was a pretty good for a first time in years and my 19 year old told me, "Don't worry about putting that away Dad, I'll eat it all today."

He did. I got one pulled pork sandwich out of it. He ate the rest. Teach me to go kayaking and driving in the mountains and leave Q unattended. But I did have a great time on the lake and enjoyed the cooler temperatures of the mountains.

So I have a 6ish pound butt dry brining in the fridge tonight. My ex gave me some sort of spice kit several years ago so the butt is resting with a chili and paprika based rub - and I didn't chince on it, I poured and rubbed that stuff on along with some onion salt and fresh ground black pepper. I'll likely start the fire around 8 tomorrow and put it on before I head out to play music with some friends - hell, I'm retired, that's what I get to do now!

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.