Hi from Cleveland Ohio

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spohnat

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 15, 2016
Located in Cleveland, Ohio area.  Just moved here after 9 years in Chicago. 

Smoker: Masterbuilt 20076716 30" 4-Rack Digital Electric Smoker with Leg Kit  

Experience: I have not owned a smoker prior.  I have helped friends a handful of times aka I provide the meat, rub and hang out while we smoke.  That said, I am an experienced home cook with a large spice cabinet and lots of kitchen gadgets.

What I have smoked so far in the past 4 days 

1. https://recipes.masterbuilt.com/recipe/sweet-n-smokey-green-beans/
     Best Green Beans I have had in my life. I reduced the butter to 1/2 stick and 1.5 cups browns sugar.  What are some other vegetable recipes I should try?

2. Chicken Thighs.  Tried out three different rubs. no brine.  The one without salt was not very good compared to the others.  the skin was rubbery but I typically don't eat the skin.  I'll work to improve this on future smokes.

Here was my fav rub so far: https://kalamazoogourmet.com/lifestyle/recipes/garlicky-ancho-chile-rub/

3. Mexican beef ribs:  Castilla Azar.  These are cut the opposite way than Baby Backs.  I pulled one rack off at 125 degrees which was good with eggs but I cut off any fat.  I pulled the other three racks off at 205 and they were great as BBQ.  I would stick to traditional ribs in the future but was at a Mexican Grocery store that morning

4. Sirloin tip roast.  Pulled at 130, sliced 1/4 inch w a meat slicer.  Found it to be amazing.  I put 4 cups beef broth, green pepper and onions below in a tray.  The peppers were bitter.  What could I do to prevent this? 

5.  Cherry tomatoes and corn on the cob.  I want to make the corn more smokey next time as I pulled them 90 minutes into the smoke.  

Upcoming smokes:

1. 8lb pork butt

2. pork shanks

What I am looking for:

Carolina mustard BBQ recipes

Vegetable recipes

rub recipes

pellet recommendations

Upcoming buys/projects:
I will be buying an amazen pellet tray and doing a mailbox mod.  

welcome1.gif
  to the forum!

Glad to have you with us!

Al

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from a rainy day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky