Hi All

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

doughit

Original poster
Sep 25, 2016
Just joined and happy to be here. I've been reading a lot of the great posts here, particularly the MES Owners Group. I think I've looked at all of them up to page 6 of 8

My name is Steve, and me & the Mrs. have just retired. We owned a small Bakery in Tacoma WA for the last 20 yrs and prior that had a Snap-On tool business for 15 years. I am a Vietnam Vet (twice) - walked a dog for a year and then took command of a dog platoon.

A couple of months ago we downsized from our home of 35 yrs in Tacoma and moved west to just outside a small town on the Olympic Peninsula called Allyn. We were blessed in finding a small cedar home on a small lake (w/lots of trout). Looking for something to do besides fishing I imagined smoking the dozen or so trout I'got in the freezer (and someday hopefully a Prime Rib thanks to Bear).

I'm totally new to this. Bought a new Gen 2 MES 30 at Bass Pro (their label Redhead model). You've all got me pretty worried about this Gen 2. Thought about giving it back after reading so much in your Forum Group but decided to keep it because:

A. I got a great deal (after being on sale I also received a further $35 off in coupon & MB rebate

B. Have to start somewhere

C. 1 year  warranty from BassPro

D. Its a long drive to return it (reaching a bit?)

Anyhow I stuck myself with it and I know I might regret it but it will be a relatively cheap lesson since I,m only it in for $155. Then if I stick with it, and vice-aversa, then I can move into a Gen 2.5 40" (if I can afford it then). 

Thanks so much to all for all the info and advice and delicious recipes you've already given me (I was listening - my AMNPS and pellets are due tomorrow out here in the boonies thanks to your advice).         ------Steve

Hello Steve and welcome to you.

Congratulations on that shiny new smoker.

May it give you many years of tasty and fun smokes.

Prime rib caused by the Bear huh, well he has that effect on folks.

He's also got great step by steps, I've made a bunch of 

his recipes, every one is great.

Have fun.

Ed

Welcome from SC, Steve. It's really good to have you here on this great site.

Thanks for your service to our country.

Gearjammer:

Ed, thanks for the warm welcome - I've also gotten a lot reading Bear's "Step-by-Step" Index and recipes.

steve

Joe Black:

I appreciate your welcome from SC - home to many illustrious (though humble) smoking legends. Also, thanks for the nod to Vietnam vets, there are many in this great country of ours.

Steve

Welcome Steve!!  
welcome1.gif

Glad to have you with us!!

My Brother was an MP in 'Nam (Qui Nhon), but not with a dog. (66 MPs)

And a Buddy of mine was also in the 66 MP, and he had a dog.

I wasn't an MP, but was in the 9th Inf Div.

Welcome Home!!

Bear

Thanks for your welcome Bear - it means a lot to me! Also, thank for your  service.

I was just south of Qui Nhon and spent a couple of months there night patrolling the big ammo dump with my fellow dog handlers. For support we were attached to 66 MP, small world. Must of been in '69. Then I was sent inland to An Son chopper assault base for night perimeter patrol there also (just you and your pup out in the dark).

Quick question if you don't mind. I've read your Step by Steps and ran off your threads re: Salmon (3/24/10) and Trout/Tilapia (9/7/11) since smoking some of my store of frozen trout will be my first try at smoking. My question involves the smoking time  of each.

The salmon is smoked 4-1/2 hrs and the trout is smoked 7-3/4 hrs, both under basically the same low but increasing temp schedule if I read it right.

Why would the salmon, which looks thicker, be smoked approx 3 hrs less than the trout? (My stock of trout go from 12"-16")

Thanks again -  Steve 

Thanks for your welcome Bear - it means a lot to me! Also, thank for your  service.

I was just south of Qui Nhon and spent a couple of months there night patrolling the big ammo dump with my fellow dog handlers. For support we were attached to 66 MP, small world. Must of been in '69. Then I was sent inland to An Son chopper assault base for night perimeter patrol there also (just you and your pup out in the dark).

Quick question if you don't mind. I've read your Step by Steps and ran off your threads re: Salmon (3/24/10) and Trout/Tilapia (9/7/11) since smoking some of my store of frozen trout will be my first try at smoking. My question involves the smoking time  of each.

The salmon is smoked 4-1/2 hrs and the trout is smoked 7-3/4 hrs, both under basically the same low but increasing temp schedule if I read it right.

Why would the salmon, which looks thicker, be smoked approx 3 hrs less than the trout? (My stock of trout go from 12"-16")

Thanks again -  Steve 
Hi Steve,

I think the actual time on the Salmon was about 5 1/2 or 6 hours, because that last note was when I bumped it up to 200° (it was at 134° at that time), and on the Trout & Tilapia one I noted when I pulled it.

Plus I believe it took those little "skin-on" Trout longer, because they were actually thicker than the Salmon fillets. The edges of the Tilapia got a little overdone, waiting for the Trout to get where I wanted them. The thinner parts of the Trout---toward the tails were a bit overdone too.

The important thing is to get them all over 145° IT. IMO  

Hope that helps,

Bear

Thanks again Bear for the clarifications.

Since I don't have a thermometer yet (it seems all the money is flowing out what with the purchases of the MS, a vacuum bagger, an

AMNPS and pellets; not to mention a new water heater, heat pump, and replacing a rotted deck for our new cabin). I'll just have to check the fish now and then - I'm not too worried about parasites due to them having been frozen plus the long smoking time.

I know the thermometer is really critical when I get to your meat recipes - maybe at Christmas I'll score a decent Maverick or something.

-- Steve

Thanks again Bear for the clarifications.

Since I don't have a thermometer yet (it seems all the money is flowing out what with the purchases of the MS, a vacuum bagger, an

AMNPS and pellets; not to mention a new water heater, heat pump, and replacing a rotted deck for our new cabin). I'll just have to check the fish now and then - I'm not too worried about parasites due to them having been frozen plus the long smoking time.

I know the thermometer is really critical when I get to your meat recipes - maybe at Christmas I'll score a decent Maverick or something.

-- Steve
Sounds Great !!

Seems you have just about all that's needed for a lot of Great Smoking!

Bear

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from a nice day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky