Hey to everyone

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sleak75

Original poster
Oct 5, 2010
My name is sleak75, I'm from Eastman, GA.  ..This is my first time on here.  Found your page looking for some help on my new project. Right now I have 150 gallon offset cooker and a 22.5 Weber grill,  I want to build a new cooker, so I found a Scotsman ice bin real cheap.  Wanted to see if any of you guys can give me some idea and or to tell me if it;ll even work.

Welcome to the SMF. It looks like you might have yourself a cool project on hand. It's all good my friend.

Welcome Sleak75, can ya share alittle more info on the ice bin? It looks like it has some potential.

it has SS inside but I think the insulation is a sprayed in foam....Any ideas?

thanks guys, What kind of info. do you need?  all I know is it was made by scotsman and it stack together.

Is it one big box on the inside or is it 2 bins stacked on one another?

I was wondering about the insulation too, we had a few threads going a while back about the safety of foam insulation and how much heat it will take. you might try doing a search on it.

Do you plan on hot smokes or cold, or both?

It's made up of two boxes but when put together it has one big inside.  I would like to do both hot and cold smoking. And I would like to use wood and charcoal.

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Sleak to SMF.  If you go to the build section here you should fine some nice smoker build that will help you out. You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction  

I just signed up for it and thanks, the people on this site are a lot nicer than some on other I have been one.

Welcome to SMF - looks like a great project. We can make the cold smoking side real easy for you. Just go here

www.amazenproducts.com/  

and for about $30 your problem is solved

Thanks a lot Scarbelly!  Thats a great deal for $30.

I think that the insulation in that ice box is just sprayed in or sheet styrofoam. Wont take alot of heat.

Don't know if it's riveted or screwed but all you can do is take a panel off and see how hard it will be. replace it w/ mineral woll or hard board .

wear gloves long sleeves and long pants and a dust mask. when handling mineral wool

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
icon_cool.gif

Thanks Eman, I have a long weekend coming think I'll pull her apart and get to work I'll post pic. as soon as I do.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky