Hey Piney, bought the pecan trees

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alblancher

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Mar 6, 2009
Louisiana
I picked up 25 pecan trees last Saturday from a nursery near Colfax Louisiana.  10 Excel, 10 Creek and 5 Elliot.  They are going in the back lot on 40 ft spacings.  You should have seen the pile of garbage I pulled out of that back lot.  Found two big chunks of concrete with the Brush Hog and lost my draw bar pulling out the briers with the teeth on the box blade.  It's nice and trimmed now and I am renting a hole digger with 12 inch auger for both the trees and footings for the tractor barn.   Will be another long weekend.

I am looking for 7 or 8  apple trees to put on the ridge between the old house and back lot.  If I can find some of the Satsuma varieties we talked about I want to order a couple of those but I need to find a good place to put them, thinking I need a blocked northern exposure that gets a good morning sun.

I'll probably give the plow a try this month in the front acreage after we get a bit of rain, just to turn over the dirt and get rid of some of the overgrowth. I need to prepare for a planting of corn this spring followed by purple hulls in the summer..  .

What variety of satsumas  are you planning on putting in???

icon_cool.gif

Congrats on the trees there Al. I want it all done for the next Gathering now. I want to make that one..

Bob, that's what Piney and I are discussing.  I need something that can take the cold.  I'm a bit farther north than Baton Rouge and at 300ft of elevation so it gets frosty up there.   I know you guys from up north are laughing at me but remember we are talking about citrus.

Mark the only problem with us doing the event in the fall is that all the fruit trees have finished up by then and the garden is on the down side.  I put in a hundred strawberry plants so come April I should be able to bring you a couple pints of strawberries and maybe some blueberries.

Sounds great Al I told ya that was gonna be fun to clean up just wish you were closer the front end loader and root rake on my tractor make that kind of work pretty easy. Wish I had known you were gonna need an auger I'd have brought you mine and just had ya bring it back in April. I'm still trying to source some Satsumas while your trying to find them check and see if you can find any Honey Bell Oranges they are another one that are good down to about 15 degrees and they ripen a bit later in the season. I'm doing some research on a misting type system that you can run on the ground with frost blankets over the plant to raise the temps I'll let you know what I find out. As for apples check out this link and if you have problems finding them let me know I think I know where I can get all 3 varieties they recommend for N FL

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg368  

I am looking for 7 or 8  apple trees to put on the ridge between the old house and back lot.  If I can find some of the Satsuma varieties we talked about I want to order a couple of those but I need to find a good place to put them, thinking I need a blocked northern exposure that gets a good morning sun.
Ok. I'm a northerner but I thought a Satsuma was a citris not an apple. and I didn't think apples grow in the south...could you enlighten me Al?

Also will them hickorys be big enough at you next gathering to chop up and split? if so I'll plan on driving down
biggrin.gif

Dan

Satsumas are a delicious citrus, small and very sweet.  We all love when the sats are ready down here.  But they like the deep alluvial soils of the River more than the sandy loams we have where the farm is.  They also like the temps to stay above 20 degrees or so.

There are three or four varieties of apple we can grow.  They need to have low chill hours and be able to survive the heat of our summer.   Of the top of my head I believe we are looking for Anna, Dorset Gold and Tropic Sweet.  The paperwork is at the farm so I am going by memory.  Looks like most successful deep south apple varieties where developed in Israel.

I have plenty of pecan if you make it down next near.  I have one full grown tree laying on the ground that is still alive but isn't producing nuts so it has to come out.  The other trees knocked down by Katrina are starting to rot and are only good for campfire wood by now.  Hickory is not something we get to much of down here.  Mainly Oak and Pecan some Cherry and lots of fruit trees.

Piney,

Talk about a pain in the neck,  I have a pile of half rotten 8x8 fence posts ten feet high.  The property looks good but I need to get the shed built so I am going to wait a bit on tearing down the old house.    The hole digger was 90 bucks for the weekend so it wasn't to bad but I do wish I had bought the FEL, would have made digging out those piles of trash a lot easier.  I'll have to send you a pic when I get it all together.  You'd be amazed the way the previous owners took care of the property.

Al.

Check into the brown's select satsuma. that's what i have in my yard and it made it thru the snow and cold in the last few years.  Had two and the guy who cuts my yard cut the trunk w/ a weedeater on one and w/in 9 months it was dead.

harvest 2-3 hundred fruit off a 7 yo tree .

there are early ripening and late ripening the brown's is a early ripening.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky