Hey Deb

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scotty

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
Lecanto Florida
The meat slicer came from instaware tonight. I saw where you and some others had gotten one and were pleased with it.

That helped in my decision as did the 9 incgh blade. Years in the deli business showed that a large diamete blad is a must.
I really wanted a 10 inch or larger but would not turn loose of the 700 plus as a starter price.

I am wondering how yall sharpen it?????

Hi Hon -

Congrats! As of yet it does not have a shapener built in. I belive Smoked said they were going to have one eventually?

It was the biggest one we could find at a price that didn't kill us.

scotty
Great question. I have wondered the same, locally there is a guy I bring my lawnmower blades to ( I can not sharpen them for nothing) and also have him put a good edge on knifes and then I finish the sharpening, I have wondered if he is a good resource though for a meat slicer blade?

I have priced out replacement blades for our slicer and they are expensive; if it comes to that I may just replace the slicer, pretty close to the same price.

I always had a slicer in my stores with a blade sharpner.
I guess we could just run the blade with a 2 sided stone to sharpen and hone.
My blade will cut well now but it doesnt have the rasor edge that i'm used to feeling.

Just one more note on sharpening/

This morning, i ran a steel over the blade while it was spinning. It is now definitely closer to being the sharpness I expect.

They are sending me a new blade. I wasnt pleased with the machine work on mine. Ive since run a stone over it while the motor is running. Its betting better. Any country boy/hunter knows how to sharpen a blade with stones. I wish i had the knowledge

I just wanted to add a bit on the blade sharpening.
I dug out an old 2 sided stone and ran the machine while i used the heavy grit fillowed by the fine grit and a steel.
After doing this a few times im getting the razor feel but not enough yet.

The ptoblem is that my stone is too thick to fit in between the side of the blade that has the adjustable thickness plate.
Because of this. i will not over sharpen and hone on only one side.
I will look for those stones that are thinner and glued to pieces of wood

We cut one of our pastramis for sandwiches saturday an the machine cuts quite well now.
I just want more controll over the cutting which will only come with a sharper blade.
I am very curious to see how sharp the new blade that is in transit will be.

I'll keep reporting my results and hope that any one else might have something to add.

Last night, my brother pointed out that I was comparing a virtual toy to machines thar cost between 1000 and 3000 dollars.

Maybe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky