Here's what I've learned here this smoking season, thanks to the fine people on this forum

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

EdP

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
I'll get in a few more cooks before it gets too cold, but this was my best year with my smoker. I tried charcoal the first year and it didn't work out for me, so I converted my WSM18 to propane.

Year 2, I ran my smoker @225 with water in the pan and that was much better, but butts/briskets/chucks took too long. I wrapped with foil. Used hickory for pork, mesquite for beef. I started lurking here last year, eventually switched to post oak for everything and started to cook at higher temps (250) to reduce cooking time, but still couldn't get a big cut started in the morning and finished at dinnertime.

This year:

No water, a terracotta bowl and plate in the water pan

Run @275+

SPOG on everything

Post oak with a little apple for pork, mesquite for beef

Double wrap with paper

Now I can start a huge hunk of meat in the morning and serve some fine BBQ that night.

This is a great place to learn this craft.

The evolution of a smoker right there. Keep it up.

Chris

so I converted my WSM18 to propane.

This I gotta see! Please post pics?
Glad this is working out for you. I don't think I could ever give up my charcoal. Maybe I'm stubborn. But I can also see some benefits of consistency with propane fired.

The other thing I learned here is, if I was neighbors with chilerelleno, I'd be picking through his garbage can every night :emoji_sunglasses:

giphy.gif

Reactions: GATOR240
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky