Here's my rig

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

EdP

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 1, 2019
This wsm18 was a gift but I couldn't get it running right with charcoal. Some experienced smoker builders helped me do this. The burner is 15000btu. The burner, box, and regulator cost less than $40.

I used water last year and cooked at 225 initially, and then closer to 250. This year I'm using a terracotta pot and plate, no water, and just did a hot and fast picnic shoulder at 275.

This thing runs pretty stable and without further adjustment, at 225, 250, and then 275 for that shoulder. It was running at 300 for a while before I dialed it down to 275.

PYp3Fzb.jpg

dvrbxT9.jpg

9frbSLG.jpg

Last edited:
Nice modifications. How do you control your temperature?

Here's the burner, I didn't use the legs.

That flat rock was perfect, it sits level and the neck rests on the vent hole I opened up.

I also drilled about 10 holes on the bottom for more air.
0018185_cast-iron-stove-single-burner_560.jpeg

Reactions: JC in GB
So you just adjust the flame to hold temp? No controller or igniter?

yeah, it runs stable. I've run it for smokes at 225, 250, and this week at 275 (it warmed up to 300+).

Reactions: JC in GB
How often do you add wood ?

I cut logs in half and they fit perfectly in that box. Most times I've used post oak, and one piece burns for several hours. Last week I used apple, and the "logs" were more like large branches, started with two and added another a couple hours later.

Here's the burner, I didn't use the legs.

That flat rock was perfect, it sits level and the neck rests on the vent hole I opened up.

I also drilled about 10 holes on the bottom for more air.
0018185_cast-iron-stove-single-burner_560.jpeg
Ed where did you purchase that and do you remember what pressure it is?
Thanks

Ed where did you purchase that and do you remember what pressure it is?
Thanks

This is it, stansport single burner, and their regulator. I bought them from walmart, and for less the stansport prices too. The burner, regulator/hose, and the cast smoke box were about $40.

https://www.stansport.com/cast-iron-stove-single-burner-208

https://www.stansport.com/bulk-tank-to-appliance-hose-with-regulator-5ft-235-5

This stove burner is constructed from durable, powder-coated cast-iron for decades of outdoor cooking fun. Corrosion-resistant brass valves look great and ensure accurate temperature adjustment. This burner puts out a massive 15,000 BTUs, enough to boil huge volumes of liquid and cook for a hungry group in a hurry.

• • Great for cooking those special outdoor meals.
  • • High output 15,000 B.T.U. cast iron burner.
  • • Brass valves.
  • • Sturdy cast iron stove frame.
  • • Powder coated and painted for long lasting durability.
  • • Dimensions: 10” x 11”
  • • Cast iron stoves require Stansport Regulator Hose Assembly
  • • Item #235-5 sold separately

Thanks Ed.

Good luck with the mod if you move ahead with it. The holes in the bottom were added after I put the burner in.. the flame was choking out.

Initially, I thought the 15000btu burner was too big and considered finding one around 10000btu. I was smoking at 225 with water in the pan and needed the flame fairly low. I wasn't comfortable letting it run overnight in case the flame went out. It was suggested I could put screws in some of the burners holes, I tried it but it seemed to interfere with the gas flow.

Last year I eventually upped the temp to 250 (with water in the pan) and it ran well. I did an overnight smoke with no problems but I wasn't comfortable running it overnight.

This year I'm running it at 275 with no water, and can get it to over 300. I've smoked big pieces (butts/shoulders/chuck roasts), and can start them in the morning to serve that night.

This thing runs best 250-275. I think a smaller burner would be better if you plan on long cooks at 225.

I’m usually at 250-275 with no water. Been using terra cotta base for some time now. You mentioned drilling some extra holes, are they at the bottom of bowl below the burner? Did that help?

I’m usually at 250-275 with no water. Been using terra cotta base for some time now. You mentioned drilling some extra holes, are they at the bottom of bowl below the burner? Did that help?

The 15000btu burner should be good. It was recommended putting holes beneath the burner would complement the existing vents. I eventually drilled about a dozen half inch holes.

Reactions: av8tor
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky