1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Here's my rig

Discussion in 'Propane Smokers' started by EdP, Jun 9, 2019.

1. EdP

EdP Fire Starter

This wsm18 was a gift but I couldn't get it running right with charcoal. Some experienced smoker builders helped me do this. The burner is 15000btu. The burner, box, and regulator cost less than $40.

I used water last year and cooked at 225 initially, and then closer to 250. This year I'm using a terracotta pot and plate, no water, and just did a hot and fast picnic shoulder at 275.

This thing runs pretty stable and without further adjustment, at 225, 250, and then 275 for that shoulder. It was running at 300 for a while before I dialed it down to 275.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    SecondHandSmoker and JC in GB like this.
  2. JC in GB

JC in GB Smoking Fanatic

Nice modifications. How do you control your temperature?

3. EdP

EdP Fire Starter

Here's the burner, I didn't use the legs.

That flat rock was perfect, it sits level and the neck rests on the vent hole I opened up.

I also drilled about 10 holes on the bottom for more air.
    [​IMG]

JC in GB likes this.
  4. JC in GB

JC in GB Smoking Fanatic

So you just adjust the flame to hold temp? No controller or igniter?

5. EdP

EdP Fire Starter

yeah, it runs stable. I've run it for smokes at 225, 250, and this week at 275 (it warmed up to 300+).

JC in GB likes this.
  6. EdP

EdP Fire Starter

Here's some of the smokes with it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    JC in GB likes this.
  7. Smokin Okie

Smokin Okie Fire Starter

How often do you add wood ?

8. EdP

EdP Fire Starter

I cut logs in half and they fit perfectly in that box. Most times I've used post oak, and one piece burns for several hours. Last week I used apple, and the "logs" were more like large branches, started with two and added another a couple hours later.

9. SmokinVOLfan

SmokinVOLfan Master of the Pit

Nice mod. The food that came off it looks fantastic!