Here we go! Side-by-Side Comparison: Bark Vs Salt Dry Brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

grillmonkey

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 15, 2014
Twin City, GA
One Boston Butt, cut in half. One half coated in mustard and liberally sprinkled with Blues Hog Dry Rub Seasoning (makes a great bark). The other half dry-brined with Kosher salt. I have done pulled pork both ways, and some of my peeps have claimed a preference of one over the other, so this will be the beat-all-to-end-all to crown a winner once and for all. This will sit in the fridge over-night, and I will re-apply the Blues Hog and a little salt in the morning before it goes on the smoker. Also, I'm going to go one step further and quarter each half and sauce it after it's done. So, I'll end up with four bowls; 1/4 salt brined, 1/4 salt brined with sauce, 1/4 barked with Blues Hog, and 1/4 barked with Blues Hog and sauced.

The sauce? My old Great Uncle Doug's simple recipe that earned him a living all of his life as a BBQ restaurant owner. I'd tell you the recipe but it is so simple you'd think; "It can't be that good, it's too simple."

This is going to be smoked in a side-fire-box smoker with red oak wood only. I'm still debating on whether I will foil at the stall. I probably won't. The plan is for 250 degrees for the entire smoke until I reach an IT of 205, then foil and rest for an hour or two and pull.

All criticism, critiques, and comments are welcome. Your remarks are how I learn to smoke!
a38.gif

I will post pics and play-by-play tomorrow when I fire up the smoker.

I'm out hunting and because of you I'm going to go home and cook some ribs..lol.. (No time for butt).

Smoke on! I have a feeling it'll all taste great

I'm out hunting and because of you I'm going to go home and cook some ribs..lol.. (No time for butt).

Smoke on! I have a feeling it'll all taste great

Rifle season for deer doesn't start until next weekend here in Southern Georgia. I have a blind set up on the other side of the pond all ready to move into next Saturday.

Last edited:
The sauce? My old Great Uncle Doug's simple recipe that earned him a living all of his life as a BBQ restaurant owner. I'd tell you the recipe but it is so simple you'd think; "It can't be that good, it's too simple."

All criticism, critiques, and comments are welcome. Your remarks are how I learn to smoke!:
a38:

I think you should share the recipe... Our members share their ideas to help you cook better......

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky