Help

Discussion in 'Breads' started by joshs, May 5, 2010.

1. joshs

joshs Smoke Blower

I started another sourdough starter. It looked good for 2 days. Them today it is all runny I stired it up once today and it looks that way again. Any ideals?

2. hog warden

hog warden Smoking Fanatic

Josh:

Take a look at this thread I put together on starting a starter:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=88451

If you follow along, you can get one going. The breads in the pictures are all from starters I started myself. Whole wheat or rye flours and pineapple juice to start with are the keys to success.

On the other hand, on a whim, I decided to order some dried starters from commercial sources. They work better right off. Much better. If you want to go at it with something you know works, a week from now you can have fully established starter ready to bake with.

Carls, KA, Sourdough International, Breadtopia or Northwest Sourdough are some options.

3. hog warden

hog warden Smoking Fanatic

To expand on my previous post.....take a look at these. Five days ago, I activated commercial starter. At the same time, to test a theory, I mixed up some white flour and water only. Commercial starter on the left. On the right, a mix of the same white flour and water.

Both went nuts after 24 hours, but the flour and water developed a middle layer of some kind of gunk.......NOT hooch. Smelled great though. Kind of a cross between butter and butterscotch. A day later, it went dead and never recovered.

The commercial start has been going great and getting better every day. In fact, today at noon I mixed up some dough for a loaf to bake tomorrow. After a 6 hour proof at room temperatures, it looks like this:

This will get baked in the morning.

Yes you can make your own, but none of the starters I made behaves or tastes like this. No more expensive than they are, you will save a lot of time and effort buying a starter, and have a better product to boot.

4. walle

walle Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Josh, add about a 1/4 cup of flour to it - it should be fine. If it activated, then you just need to figure out the balance of flour/water.

Stop babying it! It's just germs anyway [​IMG]