Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sdlocal

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Doing my first shoulder.  My maverick says I am at 120 (and climbing) at exactly 4 hours into the cook.  I am worried that I am missing the 40 to 140 window.  Master Forge propane smoker temp has been steady 220 to 225. 

Worried about safety......

Did you put the probe in when you put the shoulder in the smoker or did you wait for 3 or 4 hours before probing it? If you didn't inject or probe the shoulder you do not have to worry about the 40-140 rule. If on the other hand you put the probe in at the start you need to get it thru the zone in 4 hours. Personally I have had them take a little longer than 4 hours & they were alright. Most of us don't put a probe in butts or brisket until 3 or 4 hours into the cook. This way you don't have to sweat the 40-140 rule. Good luck & keep us posted.

Yup I put the probe in right away.  I have scrubbed the shoulder....I am going to Disney land tomorrow and can't risk it.  Damn....not sure what happened.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky