Help with rendering lard

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the_taxman

Original poster
Dec 10, 2019
Hey guys!

I tried rendering lard from pork skin for the first time last night and I’m not sure I’m done yet lol. I had it in a Dutch oven in the oven at 225-250 for almost 5 hours and thought it looked complete. But this morning it looked like there was some separation in my jars that could be water. Should I start the process back up again tonight, dump all the lard and cracklings I saved back in there for another round?

Pics from when it was finished last night and this morning:

Never used just skins. Always made it from the fat. Use the skins to make pork rinds. Don’t know much about making pork rinds so hopefully someone that does will chime in.

If the skin got crisp that I wouldn't think there's water still in it - maybe just some solids?
But if there is, I wouldn't start all over - I'd just put the fat back in the pot and cook till the water is gone. I haven't done lard, but I make tallow a lot. For that I just use an instant pot and cook on medium saute until it stops bubbling.

I rendered some chicken skins a few weeks ago just simmering them in a pot on the stove. Got about 1 quart of chicken fat and a whole mess of gribbenes.

You can cook the water off or you could dump everything in a big bowl and refrigerate overnight. The fat will separate and solidify at the top. Water will turn into jello at the bottom.

What do you plan for the rendered fat. May i suggest potted pork?

Did you render with the lid on or off the dutch oven? If with the lid on you can be introducing moisture into the lard. Also if the oven doesn't vent well you can be creating moisture. I always render on the stove top, no lid really low heat. Never had a moisture issue. Normally only use leaf fat for pork lard.

When we make schmaltz (rendered chicken fat) we use what fat there is and the skin from the chicken. Again stove top and really low heat. So doubt that the moisture wasn't all out from your pig skins.

When you place the rendered lard into the jars were the jars pre-heated? We heat them in the oven @ 200°f. Lids too. All need to be dry and hot prior to pouring the rendered fat into them. Then you have two options some cool fat with lid off. Others place lid on and allow heat to seal. We have done both.

Never used just skins. Always made it from the fat. Use the skins to make pork rinds. Don’t know much about making pork rinds so hopefully someone that does will chime in.
Above is my first time doing Pork Rinds
Richie

Did you render with the lid on or off the dutch oven? If with the lid on you can be introducing moisture into the lard. Also if the oven doesn't vent well you can be creating moisture. I always render on the stove top, no lid really low heat. Never had a moisture issue. Normally only use leaf fat for pork lard.

When we make schmaltz (rendered chicken fat) we use what fat there is and the skin from the chicken. Again stove top and really low heat. So doubt that the moisture wasn't all out from your pig skins.

When you place the rendered lard into the jars were the jars pre-heated? We heat them in the oven @ 200°f. Lids too. All need to be dry and hot prior to pouring the rendered fat into them. Then you have two options some cool fat with lid off. Others place lid on and allow heat to seal. We have done both.

I did it with the lid off but I imagine you’re right and the oven did trap some moisture. Think I’ll finish it off on the stovetop tonight over low heat, I don’t think the skin was finished either as another commenter mentioned all the skins should be crispy and that was not the case. I saved everything though so there should be no issue starting the process back up

If the skin got crisp that I wouldn't think there's water still in it - maybe just some solids?
But if there is, I wouldn't start all over - I'd just put the fat back in the pot and cook till the water is gone. I haven't done lard, but I make tallow a lot. For that I just use an instant pot and cook on medium saute until it stops bubbling.

I rendered some chicken skins a few weeks ago just simmering them in a pot on the stove. Got about 1 quart of chicken fat and a whole mess of gribbenes.

I think that’s my issue there, not all the skins were crisp. Didn’t realize I had to keep going lol, I was worried about overcooking on my first attempt. I’m gonna put the fats back in like you said and finish it off on the stovetop

Slowly heat it again to get rid of the water.
We used to do 2 pigs a year.

we poured ours into clean coffee cans, strained through some cheese cloth.

Good stuff.

Alright I’m back home and the lards looking better, it’s continued to firm up although a couple of the jars are still a bit runny. I’m gonna leave it out a while longer then put the extras in the freezer. I think I’m gonna keep cooking the leftover fat though, looks like there’s plenty more lard to extract!

Really earning my newbie title today :emoji_nerd:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky