Help with propane smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buzzy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 11, 2007
Cumberland Co. PA
Would like to be able to control the temp on my Smoke Hollow within 10 degrees. Want to be like a oven. Set it and forget it. Is there a way to do that with a propane? I'm electronically challenged but might be able to stumble through it or find help with it. Thought or ideas appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, there is a way to do it. This took a bit of creativity and a few brass gas line components but I removed the factory gas line and installed a micro adjustable needle valve inline. You'll see it at the bottom. It's a round shiny knob. What I'd do is open the gas adjustment know from the factory wide open and leave it there then use the needle valve to adjust the actual flame. Worked like a champ!! I also have the exact same setup on my big smoker.

IMG_20180207_073614.jpg

If you need more pics, just let me know and I'll post several of them.

Robert

Reactions: zwiller
Needle valve is recommended mod. If you plan to run low temps you might have to plug some of the burner for it to work right. I wimped out and jumped ship to electric and have not looked back. Totally set and forget and insulated. The key to the MES is the AMNPS.

Yes, there is a way to do it. This took a bit of creativity and a few brass gas line components but I removed the factory gas line and installed a micro adjustable needle valve inline. You'll see it at the bottom. It's a round shiny knob. What I'd do is open the gas adjustment know from the factory wide open and leave it there then use the needle valve to adjust the actual flame. Worked like a champ!! I also have the exact same setup on my big smoker.

View attachment 429367

If you need more pics, just let me know and I'll post several of them.

Robert
do you have a link to that needle valve? I also jumped ship to an electric but still have this exact smoker as well and would like to use it.

Reactions: zwiller
I have had a Smoke Vault for several years & with no mods it will run at 225-250 all day long as long as there is water in the pan. Leaks like a sieve & looks like crap, but I use it more than my other 3 smokers.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky