Help with new smoke house

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'd be very leery of wood paint inside a smokehouse. That will end up on your food.
What I suggest is to line the inside of the smokehouse with hardi board. It is concrete board used as a sub-floor for tile flooring. It has close to the same heat index as steel. This will isolate both the paint and the pine from your food and will help you to salvage your smokehouse to make it food safe.

Here is a link to the Hardiboard tile backer:
https://www.jameshardie.com/products/hardiebacker-cement-board
scroll down and look at the 1/4 thick board.

If you can not get hardi board, I would use thin aluminum flashing. If you can not find that, then use some thin wood panels to line the inside of the smokehouse. Oak, hickory, even cedar will work.

hello , i also am gonna be building a new smoke house too,and was wondering .. i plan on using particle board for the inside, as it is a whole lot cheaper .at present i have just an old wood shed i use .. however this is our power shed also and well the boss is getting tired of me using this ,in
thanks

hello , i also am gonna be building a new smoke house too,and was wondering .. i plan on using particle board for the inside, as it is a whole lot cheaper .at present i have just an old wood shed i use .. however this is our power shed also and well the boss is getting tired of me using this ,in
thanks
Would not be a good choice for two reasons:
1. the moisture in the smokehouse would destroy the particle board in no time.
2. there is a lot of formaldehyde glue used in particle board and you do not want that flashing off and getting onto your meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky