Help with new smoke house

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TaviBu

Original poster
Nov 19, 2018
I’m new here and my english is not that good.

So I’ve built this....and i have a problem.

It is made out of pine and I have given it a coat outside to protect it (wather based eco something). Do I have to prepaire it before usage because I tried some chicken and it tasted like an exhaust pipe. The temperature inside was 70 celsius.

Attachments

• 7FD6742D-5F9D-4FBB-B4BB-85939819B1BD.jpeg
    7FD6742D-5F9D-4FBB-B4BB-85939819B1BD.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 184
  • 2E6FF5D3-FAE0-4062-B357-FCD0CBFB76CE.jpeg
    2E6FF5D3-FAE0-4062-B357-FCD0CBFB76CE.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 8C4CD009-8FD8-44C9-B6E0-078F91F33E6D.jpeg
    8C4CD009-8FD8-44C9-B6E0-078F91F33E6D.jpeg
    134.3 KB · Views: 183
OK, im no expert on smokehouses, but it looks great! BUT, im not so sure about it being made out of pine..... resins in the wood and all... just my .02$

Yes, that is the problem. Any ideas on how to get around that?

I was thinking of hot smoking it for a fee more times, clean the inside with sandvpaper and then use some oil (olive) to coat the inside. Any thoughts?

First Nice build
I am no expert but I would think if you condition or season it by building a fire and using as much smoke as you can for several hours it would improve it by a great deal

Sorry I've never tasted an exhaust pipe:rolleyes:, but if you had white smoke or if the chicken skin was wet you could have gotten an off taste to your meat.

Chris

I'd be very leery of wood paint inside a smokehouse. That will end up on your food.
What I suggest is to line the inside of the smokehouse with hardi board. It is concrete board used as a sub-floor for tile flooring. It has close to the same heat index as steel. This will isolate both the paint and the pine from your food and will help you to salvage your smokehouse to make it food safe.

Here is a link to the Hardiboard tile backer:
https://www.jameshardie.com/products/hardiebacker-cement-board
scroll down and look at the 1/4 thick board.

If you can not get hardi board, I would use thin aluminum flashing. If you can not find that, then use some thin wood panels to line the inside of the smokehouse. Oak, hickory, even cedar will work.

I built a smokehouse this spring/summer, Still needs to be set up to hot smoke but have been using it for cold smoking. I lined mine with a hardi / cement board. Indaswamp has great advice there. Any of those routes would be the way to go. I would definitely line it with something. And that is a beautiful looking smokehouse. Great job!!!

We started last summer then I went to work, So when I get time I try and get some work done. I work in the oilfield so I am away lots. We do lots of sausage and have started doing bacon and will be doing some hams here soon, So we built it 4x6 to do as much as we can at 1 time. We have been raising our own pigs the last 3 yrs, Actually just finished the cutting and wrapping of those last week. Still have to place it permanently set up the fire box, put a drain in and still thinking of lining it in stainless or aluminum. Here you go indaswamp. Not trying to hijack the thread.
www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/in-the-works.276653/#post-1843270

Is drywall ok? I dont think I can find hardyboard in Romania

Last edited:
Your not going to want drywall in there. It will mold through the seasons. Can you find cement board? Or looking at your work you did a great job, maybe you could parge a layer inside or line it with aluminum .

I was looking today at the hardware store for a 0.4mm aluminium sheet, I think that is what I’m going to use.

High temp silicone I can find, but aluminium nails....I don’t think so. I’ll keep you updated with the mod. Thank you for the advice!

If there is any sofit or facia available at the hardware store they will also carry aluminum nails. Good luck

I’m new here and my english is not that good.

So I’ve built this....and i have a problem.

It is made out of pine and I have given it a coat outside to protect it (wather based eco something). Do I have to prepaire it before usage because I tried some chicken and it tasted like an exhaust pipe. The temperature inside was 70 celsius.
Nice build, I will attach a couple pictures of my cedar built smoker. I have only done fish in it so far, but both a hot and a cold smoke. The inside of the smoker after sanding down to a 220 grit , I oiled it with mineral oil , which is a food save product used on cutting and chopping boards . Before I started to use it I ran it for about 72 hrs to see how it would effect the wood. It started to give the wood a real cure to it and started darkening from the smoke. Any thing that gets on the walls seems to be easily wiped off with a paper or cloth towel. I have on a test run had the temperature up to 170 and smoked at 135 and all seems to be good . Not sure about pine wood giving off anything harmful , but I would if concerned line it with stainless steel sheet metal, rather tan aluminum, but that's just me. Would be interested in hearing what your going to do. Best of luck.

Attachments

• IMG_0285.JPG
    IMG_0285.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0854.JPG
    IMG_0854.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0797.JPG
    IMG_0797.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0747.JPG
    IMG_0747.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0785.JPG
    IMG_0785.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 73
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky