Help with Burner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

turbostud355

Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
I'm building a smoker/grill need some ideas on burner or burners,banjo style or pipe and size of either i would like to make my own pipe burner but don't know the hole size or spacing that would be efficient its 34"x 48 and 32" tall Thanks for your help. 
5f85edc3_IMAG0137.jpg

Here is a post on my blog about my pipe burner builds.

Started on the pipe burner and did a test run

I wont go into the full build but for complete instructions on this build visit Boykjo's post at Weld Talk Forum the only thing I did differently was to start my first slot at 10" and used 5/16" air holes instead of 1/4". The pipe burner will be under the Thermal Plate (Baffle) and hopefully be used for grilling.
It will also be used to preheat the smoker. There will be a second pipeburner in the firebox to ignite splits. I don't know how any of this will work until it is all put together and I can test it with digital thermometers.

This build took about 45 minutes.

Air Mixer 1/8" npt, drilled out the orifice from a 55 to a 57, 5/16" air mixing holes.

20100214001.jpg

Test burn on low, no yellow flame all blue, that means it's burning clean.

20100214019.jpg

Full blast and just a tad of yellow on the end, may be due to some crap in the pipe, I am very pleased with the burner, it heated my hole garage up in the few minutes I was playing with it.

20100214020.jpg

... right down the center,

20100214027.jpg

... high pressure regulator,

20100214029.jpg

... connected to smoke chamber,

20100214031.jpg

... test burn inside the tank, I used tiles as an insulator in the bottom of the tank.

A vent will be added underneath the pipe burner for air, once the thermal plate is installed it may reduce air volume.

The firebox to smoke chamber may have an adjustable vent, because I believe the draft from the firebox under the plate and over to the exhaust stack may be too much, unless I can limit the draft with the firebox vents, tests will need to be done to confirm this.

So in essence, when grilling, the vent going into the smoke chamber or the vents from the firebox will be closed slightly and the exhaust stack may need to be choked off halfway or so to reduce draft and the trap door will be opened to draw air in from underneath, although this is all theory and testing will need to be done.

20100214032.jpg

... locking knob to be welded onto tank under air mixer

20100214037.jpg

... pipe burner support and lock, the plate support will have an alignment plate for easy install of pipe.

20100214048.jpg

Last night was pretty productive, I built the second pipe burner , cut out the hole for the burner in the fire box and made some other hardware. I am a little unhappy with this burner, especially on high, I am going to have to experiment a little more and try to get that blue flame. It should be fine as a log starter, but unless I can clean that yellow flame up a bit, I may not be able to use it for smoking.

20100226020.jpg
20100226022.jpg
20100226032.jpg
20100226038.jpg
20100226044.jpg
20100226204.jpg
20100226040.jpg
20100226206.jpg

Last edited:
don't know why my posts aren't showing upThis is my lat attempt, then I'm calling it quits.Anyhow what I was trying to post was make sure to cap off the end completely... if you noticed my second to last pic doesn't show it closed off completely, I welded this to close it off... the reason I did not use a cap is because its a removable burner and wanted it to slide in and out easily.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky