Help with a Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dragonslayer

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
I need to smoke a whole turkey for a competition in a few weeks, about 10lbs.  Should I smoke it whole? spatchcock? or cut it into 8th?  About how long do you think I need? (don't worry I am still going to do it to temp but just looking for a rough idea) Any  wood recommendations?  Any other tips? TIA

I would smoke it whole, Case would spatchcock it, I am sure someone would cut it all up. Its up to you. There are those who like the new hot and fast methods, where I prefer the old tried and true low and slow.

I would brine it if possible and use a med/lite smoke. Heres one I did. But it by no way means its the way to go. Just how I liked it that day. I was trying cooking this one hot and fast to see what I thought. I thought I liked it, although not as much as low and slow.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/147498/smoked-turkey-a-bds-tribute

BDSkelly does a nice turkey, he uses citrus.

What I am trying to say is, there is no one definative way to smoke a turkey. Only what you enjoy today.

Last edited:
I followed BDSkelly's recipe on a 13lb turkey last weekend.  Smoked it at 240 with apple wood.  It was done in a little over 5 hours.  Smoked whole.  It was delicious!

Based on the conditions I will have I think I am going to spatchcock, brine in water and rub, and then rub with a butter rub combo before I pot the bird on.

I say smoke it whole......or you could spatchcock it........or you could do it cut up........hope that helped
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky