Help with a 4 pound Beef Brisket Flat part #2 (with Qview)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chorizodahitman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 5, 2009
Denver, Colorado
so posted earlier in the week, and have to ask for more help.  I was looking for something different for a tailgate party tomorrow, and even though I love pork and chicken, I am going with a brisket.  Reading Pat Forde on ESPN, he talked about a coffee cured brisket he got at Smoke, a high end BBQ place in Dallas, so that is my choice.

I purchased a 4 pound flat from Wal-Mart.

This morning I made a coffee based rub:

2 Tbs. paprika
2 Tbs. garlic powder
2 Tbs. onion powder
2 Tbs. black pepper
2 Tbs. brown sugar
2 Tbs. ground coffee (not used coffee grounds)
2 Tbs. kosher salt

1 Tbs. mustard powder
1 Tbs. white pepper
1 Tbs. chili powder
1 Tsp. cayenne pepper powder

I packed it on and wrapped it and threw it in the fridge to absorb the spices.

I don't smoke beef too often, and have only done a small brisket once, and really don't remember what I actually did with it.  I am planning on using brewed coffee in the water basin, and making a coffee/beer mop for it.  Will use mesquite for the wood chips.  I have an ECB with an electric attachment.  So my question is, how long should I cook it? Any tricks I need to know to keep it moist?

Last edited:
My advice would to be to cook by temp not time, cook till 160 degrees then take it off and wrap it in foil with your mop (which sounds awesome) and cook it til 185 if your going to slice it, or 195-200 if you want to pull it, just a suggestion, good luck!

When your brisket gets to 180 start to check for tenderness with a wood skewer through the top of the foil. When the skewer goes in like your poking  butter on multiple spots the brisket it is done and ready for resting. This method works better for me than going to any certain temp. Good luck with your smoke and GO PACKERS!!!
beercheer.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky