Help! Trying to reassemble MES internals. Don't have screws

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lemonduck

Original poster
Nov 1, 2014
Hi all,
I got a used MES that was disassembled to replace the heating element before I got to it.
The previous owner couldn't get it heating properly but I managed to fix it.

BUT... I can't figure out how to reassemble it.
There are no screws... I'm guessing duct tape and crazy glue are not an option.

Its model #20071914

Since I didn't take it apart, I'm not clear on what screws/bolts I need or how to reassemble.

Hope someone knows how to help me!

Hi all,
I got a used MES that was disassembled to replace the heating element before I got to it.
The previous owner couldn't get it heating properly but I managed to fix it.

BUT... I can't figure out how to reassemble it.
There are no screws... I'm guessing duct tape and crazy glue are not an option.

Its model #20071914

Since I didn't take it apart, I'm not clear on what screws/bolts I need or how to reassemble.

Hope someone knows how to help me!

Hi there and welcome!

First off what areas are you needing to screw/fasten?

If the heating element then I would by some stainless machine screws and nuts that fit and fasten that part back to the smoker.

If you need to refasten the back or any panels simply buy some self tapping sheet metal screws about 1inch long and that should work for back and panels.

If you are talking the lower circuit board underneath. Use anything that will fasten it to the body again just don't ever goo too long with any of those sheet metal screws.

I hope this info helps!

Reactions: zwiller
From the heating side of the element bracket through the center hole is a bolt, flat washer, then the non hesting side of the bracket is the ground wire connector on the bolt, a locking washer and nut. Slide on the new gasket over the legs so flat side is against the bracket. Push gasket/bracket into rectangle opening and line up outside holes for nuts and bolts. The outer holes on the bracket need a nut and bolt to hold it in place. Bring the element with you and get bolts that fit the holes.

Reactions: tallbm
Yep, self tap sheet metal screws for pretty much all of it. Post up some pics and we can give you more info. Lots of us have modded ours.

Reactions: tallbm
I want to reattach the smoke box that sits above the heating element.
Im thinking I need some kind of stainless nut and bolt combo.

And....
I'm also not sure if it should be actually sitting ON the element? I have to press down onto the heating element in order to line up the holes for when I figure out which screws/bolts I need.

Attachments

• 20210804_111431.jpg
    20210804_111431.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20210804_111416.jpg
    20210804_111416.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210804_111425.jpg
    20210804_111425.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210804_111431.jpg
    20210804_111431.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 22
I want to reattach the smoke box that sits above the heating element.
Im thinking I need some kind of stainless nut and bolt combo.

And....
I'm also not sure if it should be actually sitting ON the element? I have to press down onto the heating element in order to line up the holes for when I figure out which screws/bolts I need.
I'm glad you posted pics now I get what you are talking about.

Honestly I would leave all of that stuff out. Almost none of use actually use the chips and chip feeding system. We use the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker tray (or tube). The tray will burn pellets for up to 12 hours of perfect Thin Blue Smoke (TBS) unassisted!!!

I not only got rid of all that junk but I also flipped my heating element so it would be more center distributing heat better instead of the right side of my smoker being much hotter than the left since I have an upper right vent, see here:
full?d=1507244980.jpg

Since this may all be new to you please do ask all the questions this may spark :)

Last edited:
I'm glad you posted pics now I get what you are talking about.

Honestly I would leave all of that stuff out. Almost none of use actually use the chips and chip feeding system. We use the A-Maze-N Pellet Smoker tray (or tube). The tray will burn pellets for up to 12 hours of perfect Thin Blue Smoke (TBS) unassisted!!!

I not only got rid of all that junk but I also flipped my heating element so it would be more center distributing heat better instead of the right side of my smoker being much hotter than the left since I have an upper right vent, see here:View attachment 506729

Since this may all be new to you please do ask all the questions this may spark :)

Thanks for the advice!!
I was wondering if the heating element would be ok if I just left that stuff out. Glad you can be a real world example that everything will be ok!! :)

I've actually had a MES 30 for the past few years. Been using the smoking tube for the last 3.
I picked up this one broken off kijiji to fix up and give to my sister.
There was just enough difference between the 2 MES units that I wasn't sure what to do...
Now that you've pretty much told me I'm done, I'm a very happy camper!!

Thanks everyone for your help!!

Attachments

• 20210804_193232.jpg
    20210804_193232.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: zwiller
Thanks for the advice!!
I was wondering if the heating element would be ok if I just left that stuff out. Glad you can be a real world example that everything will be ok!! :)

I've actually had a MES 30 for the past few years. Been using the smoking tube for the last 3.
I picked up this one broken off kijiji to fix up and give to my sister.
There was just enough difference between the 2 MES units that I wasn't sure what to do...
Now that you've pretty much told me I'm done, I'm a very happy camper!!

Thanks everyone for your help!!

Glad to help, it should be ready to rock!

Now word to the wise. Always have a pan on your bottom rack to avoid straight heavy dripping on your heating element.
With a single rack of ribs or some boneless skinless chicken breasts I don't worry about some drips going straight onto the element.

However for something like a pork butt or a brisket or a few racks of ribs I always put a pan on my bottom rack and then put another rack directly on top of the pan with the meat.

This way nothing drips directly on the heating element AND to catch 90% of the dripping so I don't have a mess in the bottom of my MES. Honestly its mostly so I don't have a mess and secondary the dripping isn't directly on the heating element to avoid a flame up situation.

Never had an issue just being sensible about it and I would be using a pan anyhow even if the element wasn't out in the open like that so it's a no brainer move :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky