help! quick bacon recipe before surgery May20

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

migraine

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Sacramento, California
I think I might have done stupid...Today, I bought some partial belly slabs at my 99 Ranch market.
My first time making bacon was Mountain something BBB recipe in wet brine and too salty. It took 10 days cure.
Now, I want to do a dry cure and I'll have prague powdered(6.25%) delivered tomorrow so slab pieces won't be in cure until tomorrow night. One piece is 1.75" with out skin and other 1.5" with skin, at thickest part
I have knee replacement on May20,2024
Can i still do a dry rub and be done in 10 days+/- and have enough time to cure, dry, smoke and, if possible, rub with Hungarian paprika+garlic before slicing/freezing for later use? Or should I go with a wet cure?
Can anyone share a recipe that will work with my time limit? I know of Pop's Brine but its seems to be missing the water+meat:cure ratio
Thanks, Brian

I am new to bacon, but have learned a ton from Eric SmokinEdge SmokinEdge , Doug DougE DougE , and John Fueling Around Fueling Around . What I've learned is that while 14 days or longer is preferred, 10 days works, too. Smoke, then rest in the fridge for a day or so before slicing.

The basic recipe I have used...
.25% cure #1
1.25% salt
.75% sugar

Based on what I've done, your bellies should work just fine. I expect one of those more experienced guys will be along to help...

If you want a true dry cure, no bag and flipping, mix up the recipe for each belly separately and rub all over each belly. Then dust each side with white pepper and garlic powder by looks. Put on a rack with a catch pan fat side up and let it ride. Then smoke, rest, and slice.

(Here I am giving advice like I'm an old pro...🤣) I've done this twice now and the pepper/garlic is my favorite...

If you want a true dry cure, no bag and flipping, mix up the recipe for each belly separately and rub all over each belly. Then dust each side with white pepper and garlic powder by looks. Put on a rack with a catch pan fat side up and let it ride. Then smoke, rest, and slice.

(Here I am giving advice like I'm an old pro...🤣) I've done this twice now and the pepper/garlic is my favorite...
The white pepper and garlic is legendary around here. It just works. You are giving great advice there Charles.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky