HELP! Pork Shoulder, Ribs, and Chicken - Timing?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mkedda

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
After the success of the last smoked pulled pork, I have convinced my wife to allow me to do another for our daughters 4th B-day party. This time, she has upped the ante. She has asked me to do Pulled Pork, Ribs, and Bone In Chicken breasts!

I need help with the timing off all of this. I need all food to be ready around 3:30PM.

I will be using the Minion Method with Hickory Wood cHUNKS and Kingsford Charcoal in a 18.5" WSM.

I plan to smoke everything at 225, with an acceptable range of 200-250.

For the Pulled Pork, I have a 7.5 lb bone in pork shoulder that I plan to wrap in foil at 160 and pull at 195-200. I would like to leave it in a cooler for about 2hours prior to pulling.

For the ribs, I would like to do a 2-2-1 method.

For the chicken, I plan about 2 hours.

I would like to finish the ribs and chicken on the grill for about 10-15mns.

In return for answers I plan to post a lot of SOLID q-view.

(1.) How should I time all of this ? Overnight ?

(2.) If I have to add fuel to the WSM, how do I do that? How much?

(3.) Suggested Rubs for Chicken Breast? I have never done chicken in the smoker before.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Last edited:
I would put the shoulder around 2 or 3 AM, then ribs at around 9 AM, then breasts around 1:30 PM. Your butt should finish early so it will get wrapped in foil and tossed into a dry cooler lined with towels, then the ribs should finish a little early as well so they can join the butt, chicken should be about right on time for when you are supposed to eat.

Just get your WSM set up before you got to bed, that way the only thing you have to do is light a chimney and get your WSM going, once it is up to temp and the meat is on you can go back to bed for a while, just make sure you are up in time to get the ribs on
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

That is why I love my WSM..... it just chugs along without having to mess with it for a long time.

mkedda,

sounds like a feast...and an impending all-nighter, lol.  you have the option of smoking the pork butts the day before if you want a less-hectic day.  the meat will remain moist for ya and just needs to be heated up.  i'm a newbie, but have done 5 slabs/2 pork butts in the same day and it gets hectic, especially when you're trying to shred the pork and prep the ribs for your guests, and i didn't have the chicken to prep, either.  but, if you think you can pull it off, awesome!

i like mccormicks grill-mate chicken rub.  i know it's store bought, but i really do like the blend.

good luck!  

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

It sure does sound like a feast but you have gotten some good times and advice from Johnny. So don;t forget the Q-view and Happy birthday to your I hope hungry daughter.

Ribs and chick  are pretty predictable.  You know that your ribs will take 5 hours. I would put the chicken on about the time that you foil your ribs.  They should finish close to the same time.  As far as the butt, I would get it on there between midnight and 0100 to allow for some cooler time and time to let it cool a bit so you don't have hungry guests standing around staring at you while you try and pull a 200 degree piece of meat. Sounds like a fun cook.  Enjoy!

Do you all think this is too much to do? should I eliminate the ribs or chicken? Which is elimination makes the day easier?

Main thing to remember is you can keep a pork butt hot in a cooler wrapped in towels for up to 6+ hrs., but if for some reason the pork but gets up to 190° and you still have over 4 hrs. till you are going to eat, then pull the butt at 190° and put it in the cooler. The reason being that it will continue to cook as it sits in the cooler, so if you took it all the way to 205-210, then coolered it for 4+ hrs. the meat will get a little mushy, but by pulling it at 190° you allow for the carry over cooking and still get a great end result.

Heck no.  You have to maintain your smoker anyway while the butt is on there, so you might as well maximize your meat output.  Just devise a plan and stick to it.  You won't have any problems with the combination you have chosen.

had to delay this until next weekend!.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky