Help! Noob has a stalled brisket..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rob27502

Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
I'm hoping with a few posts under my belt, this goes up right away and isn't moderated.

I'm in the middle of a brisket. It's 4.75lbs, and I started it this morning just before 9am. I smoked it over mesquite and charcoal in my Chargriller until about 1:30pm. At that point, the temperature was at 158. We had a snowstorm starting and given that the bulk of the actual smoking was done, I decided to finish in the oven. I pulled it off and double wrapped in foil at 225.

It has now been stuck at 170 for about 2.5 hours.

I know these things stall, but is this long of a stall normal? What should I do?

I would think it should be climbing in the oven, whats the oven set to,i would set it at 300 or so.Is your thremo  right? did you calibrate it in boilling water?If not do so it may be off.

A stall can occur in the oven set at 225 just like it can in a smoker set at 225. You can ride it out or you can pull it out unwrap it and stab it a few times with a fork wrap it back up and back into the oven and it should start to climb again. Off course that is assuming your thermo is right

A stall can occur in the oven set at 225 just like it can in a smoker set at 225. You can ride it out or you can pull it out unwrap it and stab it a few times with a fork wrap it back up and back into the oven and it should start to climb again. Off course that is assuming your thermo is right

I agree. Id let it ride...stalls are a killer sometimes. My last pork butt stalled for 2.5 hrs. Hold strong!

I agree. Id let it ride...stalls are a killer sometimes. My last pork butt stalled for 2.5 hrs. Hold strong!

Exactly I personally think the meat is better because of the stall but if you just can't wait stabbing it usually breaks the stall

icon_cool.gif

Now a meat has a mind of it's own and it will stay in a stall as long as it's want to. It will come out when it's good and ready too.

Thanks everyone.

I ended up cranking the oven to 250 and that brought it out of the stall. The problem was, that dried it out a little bit. Ah well, lesson learned. I'll have a QView with more of the story up later today.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky