Help Needed New Traeger grill Temp runs up to 500

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daniel Sims

Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I recently purchased a traeger smoker/grill and on my first use I set it to 250 temp but it kept rising to 500 degrees and above and caught fire twice. What basically hhappened was the temp kept climbing and I was having to babysit it and ckeck it every 10 minutes. I stepped away for about 30 minutes and the temp raised to over 500 and caught fire. I'm not sure what the issue was. I cleaned it before use and was using traeger pellet. I've watched several videos to troubleshoot the problem but I'm unsure what else to do. Any help or advice is welcomed.

My brothers Traeger has done this 3 times, and he has called Traeger 3 times. I hope you have better luck than he did. He is super disappointed and will not recommend Traeger to anyone he knows. Not many have trouble with the older Traeger models. I don't think the same can be said about the new ones.

I recently purchased a traeger smoker/grill and on my first use I set it to 250 temp but it kept rising to 500 degrees and above and caught fire twice. What basically hhappened was the temp kept climbing and I was having to babysit it and ckeck it every 10 minutes. I stepped away for about 30 minutes and the temp raised to over 500 and caught fire. I'm not sure what the issue was. I cleaned it before use and was using traeger pellet. I've watched several videos to troubleshoot the problem but I'm unsure what else to do. Any help or advice is welcomed.
Did You preheat your grill according to your owners manual instructions?? If You just loaded your pellet hopper with pellets and then set the grill temp gauge to 250* degrees likes it’s a oven, then that’s why your grills temps is all over the place... Go back and read your owners manual again, the section about “starting and preheating instructions”... Always preheat your grill and never just set the temp and walk away.. Never take short cuts in the preheating of your grill. I’m sure once you’ve preheated your grill properly, your Traeger grill will hold its temps much better.. Remember, these are wood burning pellet ovens/grills, so some mild temp swings will happen.. Good luck..

PB Austin XL in SoCal and always... Semper Fi

I jave a Traeger Tailgater and though i got a great deal am severely disappointed in it. Temp control of set it and forget it would be a complete myth on it. Based on my experience eith it I could never buy a larger unit.

I jave a Traeger Tailgater and though i got a great deal am severely disappointed in it. Temp control of set it and forget it would be a complete myth on it. Based on my experience eith it I could never buy a larger unit.
There is no place in your Traeger grills owners manual that say, “Set it and forget it”... That’s an info commercial myth... Always read and follow the instructions in your pellet grills owners manual, regardless of what brand it is.. Don’t take short cuts... I can’t say it enough. There’s a learning curve with every Pellet Grill and brand of pellet grill.. Follow directions and the issues you’re having would be solved.

Last edited:
With all due respect I’ve followed instruction to the T. I know how to run it per the manual. I’ve tried adjusting pellet feed rates per their instruction via customer service. At least on the Tailgate model the controllers are littered with garbage units. Issues with wild temp swings with their controllers are pretty widespread. I’m absolutely happy some people have good experiences with Traeger. I have not and would not own another.

The control board is shot. Had the same happen on my PitBoss. Some are just defective/die early. Unfortunately this is the price with lesser cost mofels, I assume you're in warranty, make them give you a new board.

Reactions: jcam222
If you’re following the owners manual instructions and customer service still can’t figure out the problems you’re having, I would request a replacement unit or if possible, take it back for a refund. A lot of first time Pellet Grill owners will have growing pains with their units because they don’t follow the instructions.. In your case though, it seems like you just got a bad unit. I hope everything works out with your grill and Traeger’s warrenties are worth something. Good luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky