• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Help!!! My pit boss 440D is out of control

Volmanal

Joined Apr 19, 2019
I bought a used pit boss. It was not powering on so I replaced the blown 5 amp inline fuse. Once I got it powered on I was getting a Err code so I replaced the temperature probe. That got rid of the error and I thought I was all set. Well I went to do a test run and followed all the correct steps for preheating and I noticed on smoke the auger kept feeding the pot and The lighter would not go off. I tried raising the Psetting to the highest and still doesn’t slow the augur down. It reached up to almost 600 degrees before I turned it off. After it was in the off settings, it still was turning the auger and lit. I had to unplug it all together. Any ideas what would cause this?

bregent

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Mar 1, 2014
Possibly wires to the fan, igniter, and auger got switched, but more than likely a shorted triac(s) on the board. If you how to test a triac for shorts, you might be able to replace them for cheap. Another option is to just get a replacement control board. Does the displayed temp match actual temp as measure by another thermometer?

Volmanal

Joined Apr 19, 2019
Possibly wires to the fan, igniter, and auger got switched, but more than likely a shorted triac(s) on the board. If you how to test a triac for shorts, you might be able to replace them for cheap. Another option is to just get a replacement control board. Does the displayed temp match actual temp as measure by another thermometer?
Yes it does display the correct temperature on the digital board.

Volmanal

Joined Apr 19, 2019
And it also matches another thermometer correctly

I will take the board out and check the wiring

Volmanal

Joined Apr 19, 2019
All the wires are still in their original zip tie. I bet it’s the triac. Without taking one out, does anyone know the voltage and amperage I am gonna need?

bregent

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Mar 1, 2014
My Memphis uses BTA12's, which I believe are rated at 600V and 12A.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.