Help me pick new smoker/grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yoders are great. no issues, but pricey.
For a lower priced unit, I personally like the Louisiana smoker. Very similar side burn system to the Yoder (vastly superior to the bottom burn system on the Traeger). We have had several in the family for a bunch of years.

Another interesting lower end model is the Camp Chef. Those guys are more recent entrants to the pellet smoker market but they have been doing outdoor cooking for decades. They are doing some really innovative things. Love the feature that lets you empty the ash without disassembling the unit.

How much pellets does the Yoder YS640 use?
It depends on how hot you run. Higher temp=higher consumption.
I don't think yoders use an unusual volume of pellets - but I have never seen anyone do a comparison of pellet consumption across smoker brands.

I feel like any pellet smoker it does
a lighter smoke flavor (which is perfect for my wife). I have been adding a AMNTS for additional smoke flavor. The Yoder does a wonderful job at maintaining temperatures. I also love that it can reach high enough temperatures to sear.
I assume AMNTS is the A-Maze-N smoker tube? Do you have a Yoder YS640? Where are you placing the tube in the smoker? I have been trying the smoke tube in the Yoder YS640S and no luck. Can't figure it out.

I assume AMNTS is the A-Maze-N smoker tube? Do you have a Yoder YS640? Where are you placing the tube in the smoker? I have been trying the smoke tube in the Yoder YS640S and no luck. Can't figure it out.
Yes I have a YS640 which I
20211010_094012.jpg
still love. I usually place it on the left side on the lower rack. I have attached an image of where I place it on my smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky