Help me pick new smoker/grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
One last question. I’m trying to see what convenience factor that I am going to lose by switching to the 640 from a propane grill. Right now a normal dinner might be pork chops, corn, and potatoes all on the grill with the grill in the 450 range. Usually it takes 10 minutes to get up to temp, about 40 for the corn, 30 for the potatoes and 15 for the pork chops. Does that sound close to the times I will get on the yoder or should I expect a little longer?

Btw I think I have the wife convinced on buying at some point in he next few months but I am thinking about completing replacing the propane especially since our deck only has room for one or the other. I hadn’t thought about doing that until I posted in this forum so thank you all for the advice and guidance.

I cooked with a propane grill for years and I feel like the cook times a very similar. You do have to learn your hot spots for sure, like it is hotter above the fire box.

I cooked with a propane grill for years and I feel like the cook times a very similar. You do have to learn your hot spots for sure, like it is hotter above the fire box.
That’s what I figured. Heck I do that now with my propane’s hot spots.

I think it’ll take a little longer than 10 minutes to get up to that temperature I haven’t ran mine over 350 yet but it hold whatever temp you want actually cold smoking a belly in it right now

Yeah I’m 4hrs east of Wichita. I bought mine in Nixa Mo told me the sold a lot to people out of Kansas City. The only thing I have going is the better half has family just outside of Wichita so i was thinking about getting a palllet of pellets

Yeah I’m 4hrs east of Wichita. I bought mine in Nixa Mo told me the sold a lot to people out of Kansas City. The only thing I have going is the better half has family just outside of Wichita so i was thinking about getting a palllet of pellets
I always forget about that place in Nixa. I went to SMS, lived in Springfield for about 6 years and go back to Springfield A few times a year. That might be a better solution. I assume you live in Springfield or surrounding area.

North around Bolivar
New member here..who in Nixa sells the Yoder?? I live in Shawnee, but I travel to Wichita bi weekly for work, if not weekly. Been by All Things Barbeque, but I’m not sold on the Yoder as of yet.

New member here..who in Nixa sells the Yoder?? I live in Shawnee, but I travel to Wichita bi weekly for work, if not weekly. Been by All Things Barbeque, but I’m not sold on the Yoder as of yet.
Outdoor Home on Tracker road in Nixa
is a dealer

The only thing I regretted about the Yoder was not getting the 2 piece diffuser plate and half upper rack but the wife and daughter got that for Xmas and it was actually cheaper for them to get it all things bbq in Wichita

All Things BBQ is owned by Yoder, hence the lower priced. I talked to Lauren this morning in Nixa and that’s what she told me. Short story, I can get the Yoder delivered to my house thru All Things BBQ a few hundred cheaper than they can sell it for. I’ll be getting the cover, grill grates, 2 pc diffuser, and temp gauge (if I decide to purchase). I’m still contemplating the Firecraft for $799 delivered

Yeah I figured you would probably do better from atbbq I don’t know anything about the firecraft brand but the Yoder weighed like 345lbs everything is heavy metal which I liked over the treagers that I had available in town

Right now a normal dinner might be pork chops, corn, and potatoes all on the grill with the grill in the 450 range. Usually it takes 10 minutes to get up to temp, about 40 for the corn, 30 for the potatoes and 15 for the pork chops. Does that sound close to the times I will get on the yoder or should I expect a little longer?

You should expect longer than 10 minutes to get to 450 for sure. The trick is to remember to start the grill before prep and the extra amount of time will most likely not even be noticed.......unless your prep takes less than 10 minute. LOL!

Well I guess I have changed my mind again. I talked to a rep at a local bbq store here and they offered me a 4-burner beefeater and a WSM for $400 less than what the yoder was going to cost. Need to look at the specifics more but this seems like the better deal.

I’ve had a WSM for years with a BBQ Guru temp controller. Went from an 18” to a 22-1/2” and doubt I’ll ever get away from it for my briskets and pork butts. I’m looking at pellet grills to replace my propane and charcoal Weber’s first...then a very slim chance I’ll let the WSM go

You can’t go wrong with a Yoder, solid units. If you value convienence and vesitility you will be happy with most pellet grills. My wife with zero bbq experience cooks on my pellet grill...enough said!

The difference in cost on a pellet grill is the material and is US vs import. Double wall pellet grills will heat up quickly and consume less pellets as you cook(Memphis, blazn, Kuma, Mak two star). Heavy gage metal pits (Yoder, Rec Tec, etc) will hold heat well but take longer to get to temp and generally burn more pellets.

If I could get local pickup on a Yoder, I would pull the trigger all day long.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky