Help me decide?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
I’m on my last leg of the bacon project that’s been happening since late April, early May. One belly just went into the freezer for slicing tonight, and my tenderbelly is 12 days in the cure.

I haven’t decided yet, because I really want to get a good sample of what’s being sliced tonight (corn cob smoked), as I haven’t tried cob smoked bacon yet; but I’m starting to wonder what I should smoke my last belly with.

I’ve got apple, corn cob, pitmasters choice, pecan, cherry and I think that’s it. I’m leaning towards a blend of apple and cob but we’ll see how that goes.

Anyone care to chime in?

My favorite fruit wood is cherry. Cooked some pork with that for the first time last weekend and I was impressed with how good the smoke flavor was.

I really like Pecan smoked bacon, but the fruitwoods are my go-to's nowdays. So my first pick would be straight apple. Cherry a close second, and Pecan 3rd, followed by pitmasters choice, and cob last. But of course there is no "wrong" choice.

Reactions: 73saint
I forgot to mention, I just packaged 24lbs of Rest Depot belly, all double smoked (2 rounds of 12 hours) with cherry. So, cherry is out but good call because the color and flavor is great.

I really like Pecan smoked bacon, but the fruitwoods are my go-to's nowdays. So my first pick would be straight apple. Cherry a close second, and Pecan 3rd, followed by pitmasters choice, and cob last. But of course there is no "wrong" choice.
I might do that. I’ve been wanting to do an “apple-only” batch.

Reactions: browneyesvictim
I've been mixing oak pellets , hickory pellets , apple wood chips and hickory wood chips in a 12 " tube for bacon and hams . I really like it .

Cob is first on my list. Pitmasters is second. Then oak.

41511FA9-A318-4858-AB65-324310AB5FE4.jpeg C925DFB1-E07E-4AAA-8184-F023AF264CE5.jpeg
Since some folks say a thread is useless without pics, this is some of the cob smoked I finished slicing tonight. I’ve got a cheapo slicer and it gave me fits. Been looking on Craigslist, hope I find one soon.

I just fried up some of the cob, for sandwiches for lunch tomorrow. Had to sample a bite, Man it’s got a great flavor.
I really like it. I use it on all my cured meats for the most part

View attachment 368692 View attachment 368693
Since some folks say a thread is useless without pics, this is some of the cob smoked I finished slicing tonight. I’ve got a cheapo slicer and it gave me fits. Been looking on Craigslist, hope I find one soon.

Did you partly freeze the slab before slicing? I have a cheap slicer that I use some and works great with stiff meat

Did you partly freeze the slab before slicing? I have a cheap slicer that I use some and works great with stiff meat
Yep. But I think that may have been my biggest problem, I let them freeze a bit too much. The blade kept digging in half way thru the cut and it would change the thickness no matter what I did. Several slices got jacked up.

961ED0AF-7F0A-4C8F-A435-3E5C797E3EB5.jpeg
Don’t laugh, my slicer set up is deplorable. Two books allow me to go without the shelf so I get long cuts, but it’s far from ideal.

What brand is it? My cheapo is a chef choice 610. My good slicer is a hobart.

I vote for cob and then cane stalks. Tom Fitzmorris on the food show smokes his TG turkey over cane stalks and I am drooling every year just from the description!

Mike

Reactions: 73saint
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky