Help me choose a proper tri-tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

clifish

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 25, 2019
Long Island, NY
I am in NY where tri-tip is unheard of, I have a friend in CA now (private flight attendant) and she will be going to costco where there are 2 choices - trimmed for $7.99 per lb or untrimmed for $5.99? What would you go for and size...the couple there now were about 5.5lbs untrimmed and then packed 2 per pack trimmed at 2.5 to 3lbs each? I have heard many good things about this cut here that I want to smoke it.

If the grade is the same, go for the untrimmed. Tri tip doesn't have much fat, and you then have the choice to trim as much or little as you want.
Some folks like to cook them low and slow like brisket, but at $6/lb, that's a waste for me. I like to smoke/reverse sear them to medium rare. It's just a steak really - it doesn't need to cook long and low to get tender.

I have never seen an untrimmed tri-tip at the butcher or Costco or least labeled as such. but for $2 an LB it not make a difference in the end if you trim fat. I think these usually run in the size you posted. the variation in size is not extreme from what I have seen.

You have good friends!

Smoke and reverse sear is my preferred cook on the TT

ok, for some reason I thought they were 7 ponders. yes I will research but smoke/reverse sear is what I am planned.

reverse sear is easy man. Smoke to like 110-115 IT, then sear real hot to put a nice finish on them and bring them to the doneness of your liking. I love this cut because my wife has a thing about "blood on the plate". it really kills me but I cant see to convert her...BUT the tips of TT are thinner than the center so she gets the medium end and I can have a medium rare bloody center - YUM.

Here is Jeffs tomahawk reverse sear write up - the basic concepts apply to any cut I think.

This is probably OBE, but buy the untrimmed. I've grilled/roasted/smoked enough tri tips to reach into four figures. Grilled two just two nights ago. Still eating on one of them.

Costco is selling either Choice or Prime grade. I buy whatever's on sale. The two I grilled the other night were Select grade ($2.98/lb), and were still beautifully marbled and tender after 25 minutes direct heat to a rare/medium rare finish and a 30 minute rest.

I usually trim about 6 to 12 ounces of fat off each tri tip, leaving about 1/4". I don't bother removing the silver skin.

I've made them all the ways you've mentioned from grilling to smoked to 190F IT. The grilled to rare/medium rare and the 190F IT are my two favorites. Direct heat on the grill is my go to, about 12-13 minutes a side.

Get 'em, enjoy 'em, and share the taste.

Cut across the grain, which can be tricky with a tri tip. It can have three grain directions.

they are $7.99 choice grade trimmed. not sure what are in CA she is at now.

Personally, if I'm smoking, I want untrimmed and I'll trim to my preference. But I also look at the cost of trimmed vs untrimmed. Here in California, I can usually get choice untrimmed tri-tip for around $3/lb if i watch for a sale @case price. Costco might offer a case discount.

When smoking, I like to pull at 125-130ish, so I usually dry-rub for 24hrs and rest just 15min from fridge to smoker to get a little more smoke time.

Alternatively, I like to santa maria tritips.

That's pretty standard for CA Costcos, where I'm located. One discount grocery chain in CA, Smart n Final, sells the 20 lb vacuum packs of untrimmed Choice grade tri tips for $3.29/lb.

Have her get the untrimmed. Tri tip is the pork butt of beef, just about impossible to screw up.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
That would be nice but she is already doing me a favor getting these while she is out there ans safely bringing them back to me on the jet. For $5.99 untrimmed I will grab a few now.

they are $7.99 choice grade trimmed. not sure what are in CA she is at now.

Price wise, that sounds about right for trimmed choice grade.

Tri Tip is another fine example of what used to be considered an inexpensive cut that has been ruined by foodie hipsters. End of rant.

Reactions: clifish
she just sent me pics and the trimmed looks perfect.....looks like a 100 bucks worth coming my way. Unfortunately I will be in Canada (well not that unfortunate to be spending a week in a 9 bedroom log cabin) soon after I get them so they will be vacuum packed and frozen.

she just sent me pics and the trimmed looks perfect.....looks like a 100 bucks worth coming my way. Unfortunately I will be in Canada (well not that unfortunate to be spending a week in a 9 bedroom log cabin) soon after I get them so they will be vacuum packed and frozen.

Yep. They'll do fine vac packed before a nice sleep in the deep freezer.

Tri Tip is another fine example of what used to be considered an inexpensive cut that has been ruined by foodie hipsters
Ask me how I feel about pork belly. Used to get a slab for $1.25/lb before it got popular. I'd rather smoke a belly than ribs.
20190630_174951.jpg

I always buy untrimmed meat if possible, saves me the cost of the butcher doing it.
That usually means buying multiple pieces in sealed cryovac bags.
But I get to trim them as I see fit and then I vac seal for later use.
Me too but never having seen this cut and the difference in the below, I am going with trimmed at least this time.
tritip2.jpeg
tritip1.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky