Help! Is There Something Wrong?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

unity5358

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 18, 2013
I have a new Masterbuilt 20070910 30-Inch Black Electric Digital Smoker with the mailbox mod.  It has a 5 pound roaster chicken in it for 1 1/2 hours and the temp. isn't yet 250 [according to the ThermoWorks Smoke I use].  The smoker is set for 275.  I waited until it was 260 before I opened the door to put the chicken in.  I worked fast and had the door open for about 30 sec.  The temp went down to 205 and has taken all this time to slowly get up to 250.  This same thing happened the first time I used it loading it with 2 racks of ribs [cut in half to fit on the 4 shelves].  With the ribs, even though it was set at 275, it couldn't get over 220 and it took 90 min. to get there.

Is there something wrong with this unit?  I got it because my old one, which I still have had a similar issue.  Shouldn't this smoker be able to get to the temp. it is set at?  I thought maybe with the ribs it was more meat than it's 800 watts can handle.  But now there's a single 5 pound chicken in it and it is struggling to get past 250 and took 90 min. to get there after opening the door to put the chicken in.

I am using a 25' 12/3 heavy duty extension cord.  That can't be making this much difference can it?  The mailbox mod can't have anything to do with it, can it?   This isn't the way all Masterbuilt digital 800 watters with the mailbox mod are, are they?  I'm frustrated!  Can anyone help?

Doesn't sound good.

Are any of your racks covered with foil or anything that could block air flow through the racks?

Is there water in the Pan?  If so, dump it out.

Where is your ThermoWorks Probe located in the smoker?

I believe Masterbuilt says not to use any extension cord, but I wouldd call them & see what they say about what's happening.

Bear

Masterbuilt first sent me a new digital control. That made no difference. Now they sent me a new heating element. I haven't installed it yet. However, the one in there now does not glow orange like the element on a stove top. Isn't it supposed to get hot enough to glow orange like that? If so, the element or the electricity getting to the element is the problem. I hope it's the element, because I don't know what they're going to be able to do if it isn't, other than give me a whole new cabinet. I don't know if they will go that far.

I would change that element, and while you're at it check to see if any wires or connectors are broken.

They have been known to send a whole new cabinet.

Bear

I would change that element, and while you're at it check to see if any wires or connectors are broken.

They have been known to send a whole new cabinet.

Bear

Just tell them your not comfortable/have no knowledge of working with electricity to change the element out ...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky