• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Help identifying wood

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
I also recommend burning a couple pieces and smelling the smoke....see if you can identify it that way.

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
Looks to me like you are in California that might help someone identify it as well.
flatbroke flatbroke may have an idea he knows wood from that part of the US

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
By the grain pic's the bark and the splits I'm about 99.9% sure that is CA Red Oak. I use Red Oak all the time for smoking, and I've literally cut down thousands of them for firewood. What part of CA are ya from that will help determine what it is as well. Or what part of CA did the wood come from?

This is a Red Oak cross section.
1615188994059.png

Below is Red Oak bark.

1615188954545.png

If you're on the CA coast it could be CA Live Oak as well but if I were betting on it, I'd stick with CA Red Oak which grows in the rolling hills in housing tracts across the State and on the coast right next to Live Oaks as well.

CA Live Oak bark is a little rougher looking.
1615189292323.png

I'm sticking with Red Oak and that's my final answer!!!

I hope this helps... If you live near the East Bay save me a few splits. Hahahaha.

Dan

Last edited:

unclebubbas bbq

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 26, 2013
It's Southern Yellow Pine, the bark is clear that it's a soft wood
Don't use this for smoking!!!!!!!

pmurano

Joined Mar 7, 2021
By the grain pic's the bark and the splits I'm about 99.9% sure that is CA Red Oak. I use Red Oak all the time for smoking, and I've literally cut down thousands of them for firewood. What part of CA are ya from that will help determine what it is as well. Or what part of CA did the wood come from?

This is a Red Oak cross section.
View attachment 488144
Below is Red Oak bark.

View attachment 488143

If you're on the CA coast it could be CA Live Oak as well but if I were betting on it, I'd stick with CA Red Oak which grows in the rolling hills in housing tracts across the State and on the coast right next to Live Oaks as well.

CA Live Oak bark is a little rougher looking.
. View attachment 488145

I'm sticking with Red Oak and that's my final answer!!!

I hope this helps... If you live near the East Bay save me a few splits. Hahahaha.

Dan
Thank you for the thorough response. I really appreciate the help. I’m from SoCal, I believe the wood came from Ventura area.

forktender

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 10, 2008
Now this throws me off a little. What else tells you it’s southern pine? This should be from California.
It would have pitch weeping in areas and smell distinctly like pine there would be no question it was pine if it's pine. ( I don't think it is) but could be wrong because it was hard to see the bark clearly. Post a picture of the bark on a good size piece if you can. Red Oak, CA Black Oak, Coastal Live Oak, Interior Live Oak, Canyon Live Oak and CA Scrub Oaks trees grow From the western Sierra's all the way down too Baja in Southern SoCal.

Last edited:

pmurano

Joined Mar 7, 2021
It would have pitch weeping in areas and smell distinctly like pine there would be no question it was pine if it's pine. ( I don't think it is) but could be wrong because it was hard to see the bark clearly. Post a picture of the bark on a good size piece if you can. Red Oak, CA Black Oak, Coastal Live Oak, Interior Live Oak, Canyon Live Oak and CA Scrub Oaks trees grow From the western Sierra's all the way down too Baja in Southern SoCal.
Here are a couple more pictures, hope this helps.

Attachments

pineywoods

Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
Doesn't really look like pine to me. The bark is kind of like pine but don't teally think it is and if it were it should have some sap or signs of it

unclebubbas bbq

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jun 26, 2013
I have been in the woodworking business for 43 years, the bark tells me it's pine and the color and grain tells me it's southern yellow pine

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
the color and grain tells me it's southern yellow pine
I would agree . Pics in post 11 makes me think Southern Yellow pine , but when I saw the pics in the first post , I thought Western Red Bud . Had some small pieces in the shop .
20210309_070833.jpg 20210309_071938.jpg

Murray

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Dec 30, 2018
Indaswamp is on the right track, you should be able to determine between conifer and deciduous by the smell of the smoke. If the wood is green expose a couple of the butt ends to the sun and see if any resin, not sap, starts to ooze out, As a general rule pine trees produce resin and sap where deciduous trees produce sap only. Cut the wood with a saw and give the freshly cut wood a sniff.

pineywoods

Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
As far as I know Southern Yellow Pine does not grow in California

pmurano

Joined Mar 7, 2021
Indaswamp is on the right track, you should be able to determine between conifer and deciduous by the smell of the smoke. If the wood is green expose a couple of the butt ends to the sun and see if any resin, not sap, starts to ooze out, As a general rule pine trees produce resin and sap where deciduous trees produce sap only. Cut the wood with a saw and give the freshly cut wood a sniff.

Attachments

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.