Help Identify BBQ Sauce Type - Harold's BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I really hope they are marketing this stuff to HEB
HEB is big on selling local to Texas products, sauces, mixes, foods, etc, that arnt available at any other grocery store
Would love to be able to grab bottles of this stuff on my weekly trips to my local HEB

Reactions: smokestakk
I ordered 10. My two kids took one taste and their faces looked exactly like I expected they would. We went through half a bottle last night.

Translation: I may have made a huge mistake by only ordering 10 bottles.
Just from the way you are talking about this stuff, I ordered 2 bottles plus a bottle of their Rub, different brand. I'm making Ribs tomorrow and will be using this sauce tomorrow. I can't wait. Your excitement level says it all. I'll let you know how it is, and I'm sure I'll be ordering 10 more this week.

Just from the way you are talking about this stuff, I ordered 2 bottles plus a bottle of their Rub, different brand. I'm making Ribs tomorrow and will be using this sauce tomorrow. I can't wait. Your excitement level says it all. I'll let you know how it is, and I'm sure I'll be ordering 10 more this week.
I hope I haven't hyped it up too much, haha.

Don't expect a glaze to form out of this unless you add ingredients yourself. It's intended to be pretty runny. Harold used to dunk his buns in the sauce before slapping some brisket on it. He called it "drownded".

I'm gonna use it after the Ribs are done the first time. The Mrs. is very picky how I make the Ribs. Have to be the same everytime. So I'll be using on my Ribs after done being cooked. If it's real good, maybe my Ribs will be "drownded". Thanks, I'll definitely let you know tomorrow.

Reactions: Preacher Man
I hope I haven't hyped it up too much, haha.

Don't expect a glaze to form out of this unless you add ingredients yourself. It's intended to be pretty runny. Harold used to dunk his buns in the sauce before slapping some brisket on it. He called it "drownded".
Tried the Sauce, it was excellent! You didn't over hype it at all. It tasted like a sauce I've had some years ago, can't remember where or when. We've been to Tx once in 2008, maybe then? Not sure, but definitely liked it a lot. Thanks for the info. Now I have to do a Brisket to go along with the sauce, lol.

Just received my order of 5 bottles yesterday, and sorry to say, it isn't the same. Way too tangy/vinegary, and sweeter (maybe the pomegranate?). Going to try to add beef broth or something to see if that helps... Anyway, looks like the real recipe is still a family secret.

I ordered 10. My two kids took one taste and their faces looked exactly like I expected they would. We went through half a bottle last night.

Translation: I may have made a huge mistake by only ordering 10 bottles.
AAAAAMEN...AAAAAAMEN

If Ya Know Ya Know
_______

Last edited:
Reactions: bigred77
I really hope they are marketing this stuff to HEB
HEB is big on selling local to Texas products, sauces, mixes, foods, etc, that arnt available at any other grocery store
Would love to be able to grab bottles of this stuff on my weekly trips to my local HEB
Good Point there....I wonder what the story on that is. Maybe some contract to carry it at that goods store only....would be interested to find out.

OMG. Thinking of Harold’s makes my teary. I always thought one of the secrets - the secret to the graininess - was a lot coarse ground chili powder.

OMG I can't believe I found this! I have been dreaming about Harold's for so many years! We moved to Florida for 3 years came back and he was gone :/ I'll definitely have to try the Abilene sauce, but forget about the momma Sally's or whatever, that wanna be Harold's at the fair. I literally spit it out it was !!!TERRIBLE!!! We were served nothing but lumps of rubbery fat with orange water they were calling sauce and handed out by the dropper full. Man I'd eat a brick if it had his sauce on it as long as there was hot water cornbread to go with.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky