Help Did I make a mistake?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

actech

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
Illinois Land of jailed governors
Ok awhile back a store had these lil boneless butts for .99 lb. got a few and notice it's the money muscle. So I took one and have it curing with the umai dry capacolla recipe. Then I noticed it's got an added solution of unpronounceables.
Is this gonna work? Will it be safe ? Not wanting to make anyone sick.

Potassium lactate helps shelf life

Phosphate retains moisture and helps with the pH

Sodium diacetate helps with flavor and reduce spoilage.

You can use it but you may get some off flavors.

Potassium lactate helps shelf life

Phosphate retains moisture and helps with the pH

Sodium diacetate helps with flavor and reduce spoilage.

You can use it but you may get some off flavors.
Just who I was hoping would respond !! ok safe,but may not be worth the wait. I can deal with that I guess.   I'll still let it go. Got a bresoala eye of round going. I'm ready to start using these umai bags. I have about 10 of those roasts. So cheap I coudnt pass em up. Think a ice water soak may draw some of that out? Or just cook em or grind em ? and get better to dry.

Kurt

Just who I was hoping would respond !! ok safe,but may not be worth the wait. I can deal with that I guess.   I'll still let it go. Got a bresoala eye of round going. I'm ready to start using these umai bags. I have about 10 of those roasts. So cheap I coudnt pass em up. Think a ice water soak may draw some of that out? Or just cook em or grind em ? and get better to dry.

Kurt
Yeah a cold water soak will help reduce the added solutions. I would soak for 1.5 hours, take out rinse and soak again in new water for another hour. Then grind them boulders up and UMAi away.

Keep us posted.

I'm gonna do this one whole and see what happens. Then might be some salami experiments.  Got a few so, I might as well try a few ways and see. Next time no matter how good the sale is ..... no additives 

I'm gonna do this one whole and see what happens. Then might be some salami experiments.  Got a few so, I might as well try a few ways and see. Next time no matter how good the sale is ..... no additives 

Capicola is great stuff, it it's just from the money muscle on the butt. You're not planning on putting the whole butt in the bag are you?

Capicola is great stuff, it it's just from the money muscle on the butt. You're not planning on putting the whole butt in the bag are you?
No the "boneless butt roast" was just the money muscle. When its finally done I'll show a crosscut of it. Not sure why they netted it , as it wasa just one solid piece of meat

No the "boneless butt roast" was just the money muscle. When its finally done I'll show a crosscut of it. Not sure why they netted it , as it wasa just one solid piece of meat
Well, that will teach me!

You even said what it was!  My bad!

Looking forward to the capi!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky