Help choosing a pellet smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scottdg

Original poster
Feb 10, 2023
I am looking to purchase a pellet smoker in the $600 range. I have never owned one and have done a decent amount of research and narrowed it to down to Camp Chef SG 24 or Pit Boss Pro 850. I have a pretty large gas grill so this will be used primarily for smoking so I am more concerned with overall area than I am primary cooking surface. Both have at least 775 sq in of space (PB is at 850) so that doesn't seem like a huge difference. They both have PID controllers, but having never had a pellet smoker I don't know if it is really necessary. Both also have Wifi. It seems like the primary difference is on warranty (5 years for PB vs 3 for CC) and accessories (CC has the sidekick and attachments).

Both manufacturers also have other grills very similar to these. Camp Chef has the MGZX 24 which offers the Gen 3 PID controller and a window. I chose the SG 24 because my research showed there was no practical difference between the Gen 2 and 3 and I felt like the window would be an annoyance to keep clean. Pit Boss has the 850 in the Competition Series but it does not appear as if that one has a PID controller. Again, I don't know if I need it but the prices are virtually the same.

I also considered Z Grills and Traeger but felt like these two kind of hit the sweet spot of quality and cost.

I have you have any experience with these I am interested in hearing your take on both smokers. If I have left anything important out please educate me. I am still learning.

Thanks,
Scott

I have no experience with these models I do have a pitboss 1000 and to tell you the truth I dont like the smoked meats from it, little to no smoke flavor, much happier with my mes 30. Just my thoughts
Thanks for the input Jim. The MES 30 is not a pellet smoker, right? From what I have read pellet smokers have a milder flavor but that can be remedied with a smoke tube.

Thanks for the input Jim. The MES 30 is not a pellet smoker, right? From what I have read pellet smokers have a milder flavor but that can be remedied with a smoke tube.
You are correct, mes is electric, tube works alright but for me still not thrilled with it

I have the PB1150PS2 since 7/1/21. I was originally gonna buy the 850 but when I got to lowes. There was only one (floor model) and there was another guy there wanting the same. I chose the 1150 in the box and am glad I did.
There's times when I'm making appetizers that I wish I had more room.

Reactions: bigfurmn
I fergot to add! It took me a few cooks to figure out how to get the smoke flavor I wanted. I now just add X amount of hours to my cook. To let my smoker run in smoke mode. I also use smoke tubes stuffed with pellets and wood chips.

I have no experience with either one, I've owned Green Mountain and ReqTeq I would highly recommend RT

I have a CC SG24 and like it a lot. I don't use the sear zone feature but do appreciate the fire pot clean out and hopper clean out. I don't think there is anything better for the price.

The WIFI is a bit weak on mine but cheap WIFI extender from Amazon fixed that problem.

I have a Pit Boss Pro 850 (Lowe's version). It was a true POS until I put an aftermarket PID on it. I have heard that Pit Boss made some positive changes to their PID's, but that not every version of a Pit Boss gets the good PID. If it will refire after a flame out - it's probably a decent PID.

If I had to do it all again I'd have a RT1250. A brisket will fit on an 850 but it gets a bad hotspot right over the firepot which is right in the middle of the chamber, which results in a badly overcooked spot. I absolutely have to oven finish all my Pit Boss briskets to avoid it.

For butts and chucks it works great. I just don't put the meat over the hot spot.

EDIT: IMO a Pit Boss, a Traeger, and a Z Grill are all the same thing. I have no experience with Camp Chef. It's like Chevy vs GMC.

Last edited:
I've got a CampChef 24, had it for several years.
It runs great, I've cooked lots of meat on/in it.
Problem is that no amount of "smoke adding" can come near achieving the meat flavor in a stick burner or gravity fed cooker.
Smoke adding devices do little other than produce dirty smoke which alters the meat flavor in a negative way, IMHO.
I've sampled almost every brand and flavor of pellets sold in America, along with several smoke adding tubes, rails and gizmo's and to me anyway, no joy.
I even managed to set a smoke adder switchback rail system on fire and burned the paint off the lid..
Memo to self, don't overfill the smoker adder..

I love my Camp Chef gear. I have the DLX24 with an upgraded wifi PID and the XXL vertical. Both perform flawlessly and CC has a really great customer service. There's also a couple big Facebook CC user groups that are super friendly and helpful.

I am looking to purchase a pellet smoker in the $600 range. I have never owned one and have done a decent amount of research and narrowed it to down to Camp Chef SG 24 or Pit Boss Pro 850. I have a pretty large gas grill so this will be used primarily for smoking so I am more concerned with overall area than I am primary cooking surface. Both have at least 775 sq in of space (PB is at 850) so that doesn't seem like a huge difference. They both have PID controllers, but having never had a pellet smoker I don't know if it is really necessary. Both also have Wifi. It seems like the primary difference is on warranty (5 years for PB vs 3 for CC) and accessories (CC has the sidekick and attachments).

Both manufacturers also have other grills very similar to these. Camp Chef has the MGZX 24 which offers the Gen 3 PID controller and a window. I chose the SG 24 because my research showed there was no practical difference between the Gen 2 and 3 and I felt like the window would be an annoyance to keep clean. Pit Boss has the 850 in the Competition Series but it does not appear as if that one has a PID controller. Again, I don't know if I need it but the prices are virtually the same.

I also considered Z Grills and Traeger but felt like these two kind of hit the sweet spot of quality and cost.

I have you have any experience with these I am interested in hearing your take on both smokers. If I have left anything important out please educate me. I am still learning.

Thanks,
Scott
I’d go with the Camp Chef it’s easier to clean with the trap door in the bottom to remove most of the ash

I own the PB proseries 850 for about 2 yrs now. I LOVE it. I get great smoke rings and smoke flavor. So far 2 briskets, about 20 pork shoulders, 50+ sausages, 10 racks of ribs, I even do veggies on it as well. I've never done anything but smoking on it. I have a seperate grill for grilling. After every smoke session, it gets broken down and cleaned (vacuumed the ash pot and smoker, scrubbing the grates and heat deflector. I also put foil over the heat deflector so it's easier to clean up. I've went thru +160# of pellets.

I have a 20# brisket destined for her on Monday or Tuesday 20230727_113344.jpg 20230727_113403.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 02ebz06
This was an old thread from February.
Doesn't appear OP ever came back. Only made 3 posts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky