Help and hello

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DirtyPaw

Original poster
Jun 8, 2022
Galveston, Tx
I have an issue. I live on the beach and I have wind constantly. I use an off set wood smoker but can’t get it up to temperature due to the wind. Anyone have some advice other than moving the smoker to the garage?
Thanks, Rick

Welcome from Colorado.
Some sort of three sided enclosure or three solid walls against the wind and higher than the cooker. That’s what I would try.

Reactions: DougE
Welcome, from California. During our “winter” which means sometimes rain and wind, I use a pop-up tent with sides. It also has a vent at the top to keep the inside less smoky. Not sure if that helps.

What kind/brand of offset smoker do you have and have you ever been able to get it up to temp on a rare day w/o wind?

Welcome from Colorado.
Some sort of three sided enclosure or three solid walls against the wind and higher than the cooker. That’s what I would try.
My smoker is an “Old Country made in Texas. I am starting to think the wind block is it. Thanks

In Michigan during the winter I cover my cooking tube with a welder’s blanket and a moving blanket. In my case though I think my insulated fire box helps. Might help until you get your wind block’s built. You also might try turning the smoker so the firebox is away from the wind.

Reactions: noboundaries
Blanket is a great idea. I’ve already tried turning the smoker with not much affect.
Wind on the beach is hard. It probably doesn’t help that I’m on a 3 mile wide peninsula access by boat or ferry.
Thanks everyone

“Blanket is a great idea. I’ve already tried turning the smoker with not much affect.”

Thanks for your help fellow chef's of wood smoker cooking. Here’s my plan…
Okay I ordered a 1400 degree welding blanket and am working on ideas to block wind on 3 sides. I hate moving my smoker because it weighs about 6 hundred lbs.
864E588D-420F-4AD5-AA31-4B83FA3A2F2F.jpeg

Reactions: culpepersmoke
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky