Hello to all you smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

piers

Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Portland, OR
Hey folks,

I'm just a week into owning a smoker.  My teenager, a professed carnivore, took me seriously when I said I wanted a smoker for my birthday.  Lo' and behold I came home one Saturday morning after breakfast to find a large wrapped box sitting in the middle of my living room floor.

Faced with his appetite for meat, the two of us set out on assembling the Masterbuilt Pro dual smoker and then trekked out to a local meat market to pick up some meat and wood chips.  We prepped a pork butt and got it smoking by Sunday afternoon.  By 10:30PM it was plateaued at 150.  During that time I learned that this particular smoker ashes wood chips without batting an eye and that chunks are now on the list for tomorrow's brisket that I've got soaking in the the fridge.

The pork butt I ended up finishing off in the oven overnight at a low temp.  By morning it was just the way one would hope for it to be: tender, falling apart goodness with roughly a half-inch smoke ring and a nice bark to it.  I let the teenager sample it as he got ready for school and he gave me the big thumbs up inbetween shoveling strands into his mouth.

I've still got to get used to the new smoker and its quirks.  Thanks to S2K9K/Dave's response to my first post I learned that there's a proper method to sparking up the burner fed off of a propane tank.  I'm sure there's going to be more of these little lessons in the near future.

Thanksgiving's around the corner and I've already got it in mind to smoke a turkey.  Another goal of mine is to brine and smoke some bacon.  A friend is a butcher with access to some pork belly and my goal is to experiment with various flavors and then treat co-workers to tantalizing gift bags of smoked goodness.  That and feeding the growing teen and passing on the art of smoking various meats.  These forums look like there's a good wealth of information so rest assured I'll be coming back here and digging through to find nuggets of wisdom.

So there you have it, my roll call.

Cheers,

~Piers

Hi Piers! 
welcome1.gif
to SMF!!! We're happy you found us! You've come to the right place, we have over 40,000 members and over 800,000 posts so you should be able to find almost anything you want to know. Remember the search bar at the top can be your best friend for finding answers fast!  

You might want to check out Jeff's Free 5 day E-course it will teach you all the basics and a whole lot more!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky