Hello From Utah

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flatbedder

Original poster
Jan 20, 2011
Well, I am going to start right and post a hello in the Roll Call. 

I went to the local propane shop to inquire about an old tank that I might be able to use as a new smoker project and the guy told me that the scenting agent that is used in propane gas would have permeated the metal and would make the food taste like propane.  I cannot believe that everybody that uses old propane tanks had that problem.  I just figured that guy didn't know what he was talking about.

This is going to be my first smoker so I am in the research phase.  Is there really a problem with the propane scenting agents?  Should I try to find an old compressor tank instead?  I see lots of pics of converted propane tanks so unless there is a special preparation process, I think it is ok.

Anyway, I love this board. Thanks.

Welcome to the SMF. Glad to have you here. Lots of good folks, great recipes and knowledge. Looking forward to your first qview.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Welcome to smf glad to have ya.I have seen my tanks on here that are built from old propane tanks.So i would think it would be ok maybe some type of soak will be in order? I'm sure someone who has the anwser will be along to help ya! goos luck with your build.remember we love pictures!!!!

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome to SMF.  You'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction

GO GATORS    

Welcome to SMF. A lot of guys build their smokers out of old propane tanks. I'm sure one will be along shortly to give you the answers your looking for.

First off mWelcome to SMF!

The guy probably doesn't know about the process used to make on of these tanks ready to cook on.

First and most important is to make sure that it's empty. Then you fill it w/ water and i mean till it over flows. Let that sit over night. then empty the water and it should be ready to start laying out and making cuts. At some time during the process it needs to be burnt out  which will remove any impurities.

Check w/ someone who has done this build and they can tell you at what point to burn it.

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Welcome to SMF - you are going to find a lot of folks that have done tank conversions - just use the search box at the top and it will take you to the info

Thanks for everyone's welcome and input.  I am scouting for a good tank.  If anyone knows of a good tank for a good price in Northern Utah, let me know.

Welcome to the SMF, and thanks for the introduction. It's all good my friend.

flatbedder, a hardy welcome to ya from a fellow Utahn.  Be sure to check out the build forums for some ideas. As for the smell, some here have added Dawn dish soap during the fill and then they'll slosh it back and forth. Another had the tank on a trailer and pulled the trailer around town with their truck. The stop and go action of the truck did the sloshing for him.

Good luck on the build.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky