Hello from UK

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Laurence Edwards

Original poster
Mar 1, 2019
Hi,

Just been given a Brinkmann Trailmaster Limited Edition in a pretty terrible state so I am trying (with my very limited resources) to get it ready for some BBQ.

Thought I better sign up and ask some questions before I make it even worse than it was when I started!

Reactions: kruizer
Welcome to the board! Yes we can help you with advice - it would help to send pictures showing the problems. Many of us run offset smokers similar to yours so we often see the same issues.

Story so far.

Friend gave me the smoker and it was a bit beat up.

Firebox was no good for anything, well the bottom half and the draw had rusted through but the top half was ok.

Decided I wanted to do various mods and have completed the following:

1. Gasket seals around door in cooking chamber
2. Filled gaps on inside with high temp sealant
3. Toggle clamps to close door shut tight
4. Complete rebuild of fire box with rectangular bottom
5. Built log basket for coals
6. 1/4 inch baffle
7. 1/4 inch tuning plates
8. Gasket seals around where the firebox and chimney fit to the main chamber
9. Big clean and spray paint with stove enamal.

Think that's about it... I didnt do any of the welding myself.. Got one of the guys at work to do it for me! He got a jar of honey as a thank you...

Any other mods or advice before I fire it up properly for the first time next weekend?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190301-195157_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20190301-195157_Messages.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20190301-195154_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20190301-195154_Messages.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Resized_20190301_124256_1367.jpeg
    Resized_20190301_124256_1367.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20190301-092540_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190301-092540_Gallery.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190224_164634.jpg
    20190224_164634.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 20190223_144638.jpg
    20190223_144638.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20190224_163211.jpg
    20190224_163211.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 20190224_125731.jpg
    20190224_125731.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 21
So far so good! That fuel basket will prove to be very worthwhile.

Perhaps some kind of side table as a food preparation area would be nice, though not really part of the smoker itself.

I'm not sure but from the pics I don't think I see it. Are you able to open the firebox from the side? I see the dampers but not an actual opening. The reason I ask is b/c in order for me to have a clean fire, I have to open that door on the side all the way so more air gets in. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I can look for a pic and post it.

I get what you mean but I just got the guy to fabricate the firebox exactly how it was originally, except make it a bit bigger and from thicker steel. There definitely wasnt a door on the side, only on the top. It was just a damper on the side

Hi Laurence and welcome to the forum. There are a few of us from the UK who chat here - which part are you from?

The rebuild looks great so far and you have done most of the usual mods.
One question about the fire basket - does it have feet that keep the bottom mesh clear of the base of the firebox - it is not clear from the photo. This will be important to allow ash to drop through and for air to reach the burn efficiently.

Are you able to open the firebox from the side? I see the dampers but not an actual opening. The reason I ask is b/c in order for me to have a clean fire, I have to open that door on the side all the way so more air gets in.

Unfortunately the Trailmaster does not have an end door on the firebox - just an air vent.

It is quite a large unit with a large surface area for heat loss and so will need a good amount of consistent heat produced from the coals to maintain temperature - especially on cool or windy days. Looking at the photo I too would be concerned that he existing vent holes may not be big enough - but I think that will only be tested through using it.

Are you planning on using wood/splits or briquettes for heat? Briquettes will give you a higher, more consistent, heat output. With briquettes you can use the fire basket that you have made to burn using the Minion method, or you could adapt it for different Minion styles. Here is a blog post I found that shows you a number of different Minion methods you could adopt with an offset smoker with differing levels of complexity.

images
images

Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Hi Wade,

I live in Flintshire, Wales but originally from Greenwich so know Kent quite well.

The firebox doesnt have feet but I was planning on resting it on two bricks to bring it up off the floor for ventilation, ash drop and to add a bit of thermal mass.

Hmmm, that's a shame about the door as I could have said to the fabricator to install one. I guess he could still do it.

Where would you propose it goes? What style of door and what dimensions?

I could always add another vent or two. I think the vent he made had the same dimensions as the existing vent.

Maybe best to have a few trial runs and see how I get on.

I have about 10m3 of cherry wood and 3m3 of apple wood from felled trees so would prefer to use as much wood as possible but understand I probably need to use some charcoal to get the fire going...

Hi Wade,
Hmmm, that's a shame about the door as I could have said to the fabricator to install one. I guess he could still do it.
Where would you propose it goes? What style of door and what dimensions?
I could always add another vent or two. I think the vent he made had the same dimensions as the existing vent.
Maybe best to have a few trial runs and see how I get on.

Where end doors are fitted they are usually pretty much the whole size of the firebox end, with enough surrounding to retain structure and provide hinges and a catch. They make adding more fuel easier without losing as much heat from an open lid and they do allow you to increase the ventilation considerably if you need additional heat quicker. They also help cleaning out afterwards.

Yes you would be best to try it out first and see whether you actually need one.

Good Morning and Welcome from a Sunny and Cold East Texas

Gary

Well, the guy who made the firebox for me thankfully agreed to fit the door. He was supplying the material and labour for free so felt a bit bad for asking..

But, I'm so thankful I did. I don't think it would have worked without it.

Got my second smoke on the go today and am happily sitting around 240/250f.

Few pics attached.
20190309_141551.jpg
20190310_111430.jpg
20190309_141551.jpg
20190310_111430.jpg

Attachments

• 20190309_141802.jpg
    20190309_141802.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: banderson7474
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky