Hello from the far north!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fishgod

Original poster
Aug 10, 2016
Palmer Alaska
My name is Michael.  

I have been smoking meat for quite a few years but just found the purchased smokers just don't do it for me.  I live in Alaska (South Central) and like to grill and smoke year around.  With the long winters it makes it difficult to smoke properly.  Also with the extended fishing season here I get tons of salmon and processing fish in a small smoker is next to impossible.  My current smoker just doesn't do it for me.  It is the smaller Smokin Tex. I may modify it with a PID to get better control because the included settings are horrible.  With all that said,  I have been cruising the forums and think I'm going to build one from scratch.  My plan is to build a stick built smoker, Insulated walls, propane burner with PID temp control (Pork, Beef, fish, sausage) also with the ability to do some cold smoking (salmon, home made bacon, ect.).  I'm really considering lining the inside with aluminum for easy clean up and maintenance. There is tons of great ideas and I'm just trying to see if a can make an all in one smoke. I will continue to comb the forums and ask questions when appropriate.  

Welcome to the site Michael!  I am looking forward to your contributions!  Smoking in Alaska...gotta love it!

Mike

Hi Michael!

welcome1.gif
  to the forum!

Glad to have you with us!

Al

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from another much needed rainy day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

Thanks all,

I think I'm going to PID my smokintex to get me through the winter.   Then in the spring build smoke house to do my large batch processing.  I'm excited to find this site.  Ton's of good info.

Michael, 

I use an Auber PID with my Masterbuilt electric smoker for all my Salmon needs.  It is so darn accurate and easy to use.  Oh and welcome to SMF.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky