Hello from Schertz Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Texaswero

Original poster
Dec 21, 2021
i have the ASF 20 oven up smoker, and wondering if there are any heat control tips as the exhaust stack is lower in the oven box, as opposed to being on top in a regular offset smoker. does this make a difference on how you use the baffles/vents at all??

Reactions: JLeonard
Howdy and welcome from SE Arizona.

This might be helpful...

Hi! And welcome from Iowa! Sorry can't be of any help to ya with your smoker.

Ryan

Welcome from Oregon! You will find answers to all your questions here. Some even pertain to smoking.

Welcome from San Antonio Texas!
texas_zpswacwwmhm.gif

Can you post some photos to better explain and illustrate what your asking about with your cooker?

Without those, my general answer is no if I'm understanding properly, as my original horizontal offset smoker was a Bar-B-Chef. However my general philosophy regardless of horizontal offset or vertical bullet design is to consider the inlet air register(s) as the accelerator, and the exhaust damper(s) as the brake. You generally don't want to be "riding the brake" the entire cook session. If you're having trouble controlling because the inlet air is pinched down way far, and small changes in position produce large changes in cook chamber temperature and smoke quality, then close the exhaust somewhat to get some wider control range back at the air intake(s).

Hope that helps.

ETA: Found this older thread for you as well.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky