Can't keep temperature down!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Gaps around the door are adding air to the fire... Seal those up and you will have to re learn how to use the smoker and keep the temps down...

Have you asked the company that makes it for any pointers thats what I did when I couldn't get mine to regulate correctly

One other thing I learned is that they dont need as much wood as you would think I have a big trailer smoker and once its heated up I only us a couple small splits every 45 min or so

Last edited:

Stop the video as soon as you can... Is that the door you are speaking of that leaks ??
Fasten a sheet metal trim piece around the door so it overlaps the opening... Use sheet metal screws or self drilling screws... around the inside or outside of the door... which ever does a better job...

The sheet metal can be pretty thin... It only has to stop air flow... easy to bend, easy to cut, and easy to fasten...

No... The door will still lead air... It's the air that causes high temps with no way to regulate that transient air...

I figured that. Just thinking that less air space in the firebox would lead to less air for the coals.

Why do you want to cook at under 240* ? Unless your cold smoking cheese or something, anything around 250 is good.

Okie, morning.... I ALWAYS add smoke between 50-140F... after the smoke is added, the the temp is turned up to 200-220F... or put in the kitchen oven....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky