Hello from San Jose!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sooperjay

Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I am a newbie from NorCal. I have been using my Weber Performer for a few years now, but have been increasingly unhappy with the quality of my low-temp cooking.

I just purchased an electric Masterbuilt smoker and can't wait to see the results this weekend. I can't decide between baby backs, brisket, or chicken. Aw heck, I'll probably just do them all!!!

Welcome to SMF Jay. Congrats on that new smoker and heck yea season that thing then smoke em all.

I too am new to the group and I am also from San Jose. I looked at the Masterbuilt at BBQ galore but I went whole hog and got a Cookshack 50. I think the Masterbuilt is a fine unit and you will have some great smokes on it.

As for meat in the area Smart and Final is the place to get packer cut brisket for $1.79 a lb you cant beat it. You will be much happier with the packer cut rather than just doing a flat and you are looking at about a 14 hour smoke.

For pulled pork (pork butt) Costco has them in Almaden but they look to be a double pack. For a small one 5 lb or so you can get them at Food Max over by the 24 hour fitness on Parkmor & Meridian. That will be about an 18 hour smoke.

If you haven't already got a remote thermometer you should. It saves many trips to check the meat temp. I usually sleep right through the smoking and it will beep to let you know you have reached the temp you want.

I just did beef jerky 5lbs worth and it came out great. I got the meat (London Broil) at Lucky on Camden Ave for $2.49 a lb.

Happy Smoking,

Zipdugan

Hello San Jose, good to see another fellow smoker from Calif. Welcome to the SMF.

Zipdugan,

Thanks for the info! That is really going to save me a lot of trouble. I picked up an Oregon Scientific remote thermo already. I figured I didn't want to wake up throughout the night to check the temp (lazy, huh?). I hope to have some good stories and pics to share very soon!

Sooperjay

welcome aboard sooperjay, we'looking forward to your smoke this weekend too! Remember your Q-view!

welcome to the best forum on the web, good to have our town represented, we get enough folks around here smokin, and we can have a festival or something, btw im sure you can see the whole san jose area is smokin from all the fires around here. think of all that good would going to waste.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky